Saving on shampoo

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Peninha • Jul 4, 2014.

1. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    A good way to save money on shampoo is not to wash your hair lol! (just kidding) I would suggest just buying a cheaper and or generic version. The goal is just to clean the hair, so you don't really need to spend large amounts on shampoo. Another solution is to cut hair lower to save product by volume.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that could be doable for those with a normal head, so to say, because if you have some sort of problem in the skin of the head you need a special shampoo. More, we do notice when the shampoo has quality of not, some shampoos you wash the hair in the morning and in the afternoon it's already looking dirty.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    When I opened this thread I wasn't expecting that advice to be fair! But one tip that I would give to people wanting to save money on shampoo is not to wash your hair as often. I used to wash mine every day, but then realised that all I was achieving was washing out the natural oils, so I decided to reduce this to every two days. Immediately you're saving money for two reasons - firstly you're halving your shampoo bill, and secondly you won't take as long in the shower if you're not washing your hair, so it saves a lot of water as well.

Our local supermarket recently stopped stocking my shampoo of choice, which isn't a problem as there are others where I can get it for the same price, but they sold off all of the stock for 50p a bottle down from £1 so I bought the whole shelf. 40 bottles of the stuff. It will last me for years probably, but it was a great bargain! Anyone want some shampoo!??

4. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I have to shampoo my head even when shaved as my skin gets a bit flaky from over productive yeast (we all produce it naturally, but mine is overactive). I wish I could save on shampoo as it is a medicated shampoo and costs more than ordinary shampoo. However, shaving does reduce moisture that increases the problem, so I do save a bit when I shave :p

5. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I shave my head from time to time and when it does grow out I would have itchy almost to the point of bleeding scalp. I used a bunch of different dandruff shampoos but nothing made it better. It felt like I need something to strip the excess moisture on my head. So i tried a regular bar of soap. The same one used to lather up and use on my body. Guess what? my scalp felt better after the first wash. After a few times my scalp healed completely and I never used shampoo again.

So..........the best way to save on shampoo is to not buy any at all and just use a regular bar of soap.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't know about that Josh, but it's an interesting testimony. The bar soap was good for the scalp right because you had no hair at the time, so I don't know what effect it would have on a person with a lot of hair like myself.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Shampoo has never been a big money waster for me as I've been shaving my head since 5th grade. Basically, I don't care what sort of shampoo I get as long as it smells ok and actually cleans my hair. For some people though, that really isn't a viable option as the more expensive shampoos actually take care and treat your hair properly.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually just used bar soap before. It gets oily faster and if you do it over a prolonged period of time, you get build up. But sometimes we workout and know the next day we will just need to jump in the shower again so I will use the bar soap to help get the sweat off. Then when I'm going out or needing my hair to look really nice I use my more expensive shampoo. Most Americans over shampoo their hair. It is enough to do it once or twice a week. But if you work hard and sweat you want that feeling out of your hair so a little rinse and scrub is enough and doesn't strip it of all its natural oils.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think it is really wise to shave your heads only because some shampoo costs are really high. If you find that you are spending too much on shampoo, then the best thing to do is prepare your own shampoo. Also, it is really healthy and safe to use your own shampoos. It is not very difficult to make your own shampoos as many people think. Just get the right ingredients and follow the steps thoroughly.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with that akiii, I think no one would shave the head just to save on shampoo, but it's a nice plus right? :) I feel that the best way to save on shampoo is to buy the most adequate brand to our type of hair and, when possible, keep an eye on promotions.