Saving on the Baptism

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • May 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some special events in our lives and baptizing our kids (for those who believe it) is one of them. I am baptizing my kid next month and we are discussing the possibility in doing the lunch in a restaurant or at home. Sure, at home it's cheaper, but at the restaurant it's another level of service and convenience. Advice please? :)

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you want something memorable or not? If it's something memorable then that would demand spending a lot of money whether the guests get lunch in a restaurant or at home. For something like that I would recommend going the hotel way because you won't have to spend more money decorating your home, hiring a chef, etc.

For a simple lunch then have it at your home.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    No no, not a lot of money, not that I would mind spending money if I had it. So no hotel, but really my place is too small for about 20 people (just the closest family, something small), so we are picking a nearby restaurant that looks good and everything stays in a walking distance.

4. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    We went to a restaurant after the baptism of my sons, we only invited family members, closest friends and godparents. I didn't invite a lot of people because I wanted it to be a simple occasion and solemn.
    I saved a lot because I only invited a few special persons which also made the occasion more personal and meaningful. I also gave a token or souvenir for those who attended, It was a DIY handcrafted frame with the picture of my son with a meaningful quote about the occasion.

5. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    It is obviously cheaper to do it at home, but are you prepared for the stress? Have you considered other options? For example, hiring a simple and cheap function room and getting caterers to do a cheap buffet or hot pie supper or something? Have you got friends who will be willing to contribute dishes to a buffet if you hire a room or hold the function at home? Another option is to make dishes that you can freeze in advance. This will spread the work and leave you less stressed out if you plan to cater yourself. If the restaurant is a more appealing option then compare several possible venues and get the best deal you can. Don't be afraid to haggle.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    We have it all taken care now, we will be doing it in a restaurant, it's a one time investment and it's money well spent, he's going to be baptized once only and we really want to enjoy the day and not be worried about food, so we will leave that to professionals.

7. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think you went for the right option.
    You want this to be a memorable day and if you had done it in your home the only memory you would have is you running back and forth with food and worrying while your guests are having fun eating.
    By having it in a restaurant you guarantee that your mind will only be focused on your child and the party, seems like a good investment.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Thanks, it was a team effort really, me and the wife we brainstormed lol and came to this conclusion. On top of everything the restaurant is relatively affordable for the good quality that offers and being in a good location and in a walking distance from the church helped us to decide.

9. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    hmmm maybe just let the kids grow up and choose there own religion? :O shocking.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ahah, LOL!!! That's what my parents did with me and guess what, I chose nothing. :p As for my wife and their family, it's a big deal to them so I don't think it will hurt the kid that much, but I get were you coming from. We do need to balance things when we are a family. ;)

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Why do so many people do this when they don't even follow a religion? My girlfriend and I are trying for a baby and she has already started making plans to have the child baptized and we haven't even conceived it yet!

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's a cultural thing dean, if you live in a big city like me, most likely you don't care, but my wife comes from a small town, her parents (especially her mother) is extremely religious and it would be an enormous heartbreak for her if her grandchild was not baptized. It means the salvation for the believers you know?

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    She comes from Manchester in the UK, I come from London in the UK and none of our family members are religious, yet we get invites to baptisms on a monthly basis! Is it for the presents? Or is it just an excuse for people to have a party? I don't actually believe in religion and I think it would be hypocritical of me to have any child of mine baptized.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, you got to face it dean, some people are religious and it's a tradition to make baptisms and to invite family and friends, you should feel honored to be invited, this means that you have a big family or a lot of friends and that they love you. :)

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Or they know I am rather generous when it comes to presents and they know I'll buy their child a really nice present! hahaha :)

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Ahah, that too, so you got to take a decision, or you stop going to baptisms or you go and you give really bad presents, either cases, they will eventually stop inviting you! :D

Actually, I just went talk to the restaurant owner where we are having lunch in the baptism day and we agreed on the final details, all set! :)