Saving On The Movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by to7update • Nov 12, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the movies is not so cheap as it used to be, even more when we buy popcorn and sodas when we are there, so I want to ask you, how do you save when going to the movies.

I have a card for certain movie theaters that make my tickets half price, so I go to those to get my immediate discount. :)

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    To be frank nowadays I rarely go to theaters to watch movies due to lack of time but there was a time when I was something addicted to it. It is a fact that if you really want to enjoy movies theater is the best place to be in. Having a card seems to be a good idea to save a lot of money as these days the even the cost of tickets is somewhat too high. Even though quality of theater experience has improved a lot sometimes they are out of my budget.

I think it is a good idea to buy snacks from outside as the price of snacks is very high inside the complex. Also sometimes the quality is not good.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I save by not going too much to the theartres I usually wait for the movie to be available online. In the rare occasions I go I usually eat before going and take a snack and water in my purse. The popcorn and others items are way too overpriced.

4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, now that's called extreme savings @kamai@kamai! :D As for the popcorn, that is so true, they are overpriced, but they are delicious and sometimes it's a luxury I like to indulge myself with. Whenever I can I do take the water with me though.

There are movies I simply can't miss as they mark a generation, like the last Star Wars movie that I went to see with both my kids. :)

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Over here there are radio stations that would give away movie tickets to the winning caller. That's one way of being able to save money going to the movies. But like Kamai, I usually just download movies online or I buy the pirated ones. They're really cheap! A 10 in 1 blue ray disc only costs $2.14. That's real value for your money right there, and you can watch it over and over again unlike going to the movies.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love to save as much as I can as my income is too low. Of course if I had the money I would occasionally go to the theartres and even order a few goodies. I used to do this back in the day when times were better especially for Pirates of the Carribean. Once in a while doesn't hurt, for the experience.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am sorry to heat that your income is too low @kamai@kamai, I hope that days with a better income come soon to you!

The fact is that we adjust what we spend with the available money we have, so if I don't have any money I don't go to the movies and that's it, but if I do I will always try to save, like taking advantage of my 50% discount card even if I have to go to a theater farther away from where I live.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for your kind words really means a lot and I am hoping too. That's good taking advantage of discounts is always good. I used to like it when they had the two for one discount but now unfortunately it's gone ,it was two for one entries and snacks.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    No problem, I wish to others always the best, the same as I wish for me. :)

The income we have is something independent of the savings we make as having more money doesn't mean we should not try to save, if it can be cheaper no way I will go for the most expensive option. ;) When snacks are included those are the best offers!

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Religiously (and I speak very seriously o_O) every month I leave a part of my salary exclusively to go to the movies (and to snack too :D). I go to the movies on a weekly basis (I'm really addicted to movies ... that's understandable), so ... I already have a plan drawn up. :cool:

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Movie tickets here cost an arm and a leg, so to speak. In the mall’s cinema, movie tickets costs more than $5 and that’s already exorbitant considering the standard of living here. That movie ticket can buy meals for 3 people. Maybe that’s the reason why the mall had innovated. They make you earn reward points when you buy in the stores inside the mall and those points can be converted to purchases including a movie ticket. Fortunately for me, I am a senior with a 20% discount privilege. And my wife who is not a senior could use the reward points for a free movie ticket.

12. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update I was very lucky as I like to go quite often to the movies. My Mom gave me half a dozen free tickets. I couldn't go at the weekend and I couldn't see some certain films but it was a great way to save on the cost of going. There are various places that give away tickets for a small online task.

Fandango is a good site for this.

#12Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty cool, I am checking out that site @janemariesayed@janemariesayed, hopefully they cover my area. Thing is, if it's like my card, they offer one ticket when we buy another, so it's never entirely free. Getting a 50% discount is always good though, and maybe those tasks you mention do offer really free tickets! :D

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have not been to the theater for a very long time. I remember the last time was a few years ago when we watched Fast and Furious 6 :) I don't usually save money for movies since I can watch anytime at home. I know that watching movies in cinemas are kind of exciting but I can't spend a lot just to do so. When I was still working in my former company, we have free movie tickets every quarter and it's a cool freebie since we can watch movies in the cinema for free :D

15. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update Completely free can be difficult to find, but I hope that the site gives you at least something towards seeing a good movie. I haven't actually been to the movies for a while. I've been purchasing a box set of series and have been watching them on my DVD player before sleep.

#15Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, the movies have strong competition these days, and even if I am not the biggest fan, my wife loves going to the movies so I end up going with her more or less once per month. Some movies are actually good, and seeing them on the big screen has another impact, even if it costs more.

17. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies that often, but when there is a new movie that I want to watch (usually a sequel) I go. In my country it's not that expensive to go to the movies if you are not overdoing it. It's about 5 bucks to see a 3D movie per person and the popcorn is around 1 dollar. You must know that the payment here is around 200-300 dollars per month so that is why it's so cheap.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I still indulge in theatre snacks but that's cause I rarely go to movies anymore. Like been to 3 in the past 6 years!

Even then I do carry snacks and water bottle with me. Although I might go for a juice, shake or a snack from the canteen too.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Going to the movie houses nowadays has the goer to cost a lot. Movie tickets in a state-of-the-art movie theater are to expensive, but we couldn't afford to neglect it for not experience the best amenities that movie houses are offering.

So once in awhile, we go to that movie house especially when the film is shown starred our fave actors and actresses. While it is being advertised for its screening schedule, we are also preparing and saving money for that so as not to miss the movie.

20. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    If going to the movies or some other thing is something you love and do often, then, yes, of course, it would be a smart move to join some frequent buyers club as @to7update@to7update mentioned. Nonetheless, beware of scams. For instance, in the US, people are selling certain fast food cards, but some restaurants are becoming cynical about them. Anyhow, do your online research before joining anything.

#20Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017