Saving on Water

Discussion in Water started by Konstantina • Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A good way to save money on water is to harvest rainwater. We have a lot of rain here in England, you would be surprised by how much money you can save by tapping into nature, literally. Rainwater is pure, unlike your tap water which is full of chemicals.

2. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Inexpensive water-saving low-flow shower heads or restrictors are easy for the homeowner to install.

3. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Your post is really nice. Your suggestions not only be maintained for some saving it also a demand of time.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To save water I tried soaping all of the dishes and rinsing them at one time and found that I wasn't satisfied with the rinse cycle. It seemed like it took a longer time to get all of the soap off of the dishes.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can brush your teeth with the water turned off and just turn it on at the end to rinse. You can catch rain in a rain barrel and use it to water your lawn and plants. You can take short showers instead of lingering and wasting water.
    You can run your washing machine only when you have a full load.

6. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Good tips. Just be observant, and we will find more ways of saving water and money in our daily life.

7. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    One should start saving water not only because he saves money that way, but one should also think of the common good: saving water, although a little, is good for the whole population of a country, somehow. The water one might be wasting is the water another person doesn't have. People should think about that more.

8. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    I've had a water meter installed and also got rid of the bath. Now only have a shower cubicle. The brick in the water cistern is always agood way to save a few litres and - as mentioned above -being from the UK, we get loads of rain so get yourself a water butt for plant sprinkling. It all adds up at the end of the day and with analysts reckoning that one day countries will go to war over water resource, its doing your bit for world peace too!

9. Michael Brown

Michael BrownNew Member

Threads:
    In these times, it would be wise to save water. I'm so inspired reading threads here, I get a lot in tips and new information. I would definitely try this. Thank you guys.

10. Mrs. B

Mrs. BNew Member

Threads:
    Because of the type of water heater I have in my house, it takes a while for the water to get hot. Instead of just letting it run down the drain until it gets hot, I collect the water I don't need in a watering can or jug and use that water for my plants or pets. It's hard to say how much of a difference it makes, but in the end it's still saving water!

11. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    We are just getting some rain in California. Had a downpour and I gathered a lot (love your term "harvest"). I use it for the garden, the indoor plants and take some to wash my hair with. It is great and you are right pure and does wonderful things for your hair.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I do all of that pretty much the same (aside from using a brick, i just use a bottle of water). Also, i can't remember the specific name of it, but there are these little pieces that you can put on the faucets and it saves you half of the water consumption.

13. Mrs. B

Mrs. BNew Member

Threads:
    What kind of containers should one use if trying to harvest rainwater? I'm in CA, too but it's so windy in the fall/winter months. I'm trying to think of the best water collecting device that won't just blow over during a storm.

14. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I also check my bills. I also do my laundry once, and not by portion. I can save by doing that. There are many ways on how we can save. we just need to pay attention on small things, that in the end can make a big changes.

15. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    The water bill is probably the cheapest of all my utilities. We have so many water restrictions in Ga that I can barely water my garden from the faucet outside. I do collect rainwater and keep it covered to prevent mosquito breeding. The grocery store also lets you fill up your recycled gallon jugs for cheaper than full price.