Saving Seeds From Harvest For Future Planting

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • Aug 19, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever we have a harvest of crops from our garden, I never forget to save some seeds. That also applies with the fruit trees. What we do is to plant the seeds in plastic pots for future needs. Sometimes friends would be asking for seedlings of mango or sugar Apple. Right now, we have seedlings of mango, sugar apple and even cashew plus some other trees. And for the vegetables like okra and mung beans, I have small bottles for storing those seeds. Our most recent harvest is corn and we are in the process of maturing some corn ears for the kernels intended for planting.

That saves me the money and the hassle of going to the farm store to buy seeds for planting.

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    You definitely have a whole lot of savings on fruits and vegetables by planting them yourselves. I think that it's such a good idea to save some seeds for your next planting time. It saves a lot since some seeds could be a bit expensive in the market depending on the kind of plant you want to propagate.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually save the seeds of anything that we want to plant, also. If the fruit or veggie came from the grocery store, sometimes the seeds will not germinate; but it is always worth saving some and seeing if they will sprout.
    Vegetables that came from a genetically modified plant, or even from a hybrid one, will sometimes not reproduce, and that is actually one of the great drawbacks of the GMO vgetables, is that new seeds must be purchased each year because the seeds inside the plant are not viable and will not reproduce when planted.
    When we get a melon or cantaloupe, I always save some of the seeds for next year; but it seems like they do not produce even when they sprout and grow. Still, it can't hurt to save the seeds because when they do sprout, then you have saved money by not having to buy new seeds.
    If the carrots that you buy at the store still have even a tiny bit of the top on them, they will usually grow a new top. When you use the carrot, then save the very top with about an inch of carrot and plant that. The carrot top will grow, and the next year, it will go to seed (since carrots seed in the second year of growth) and you will then have carrot seeds.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I always save some of the seeds of anything I grow. I think it's important to do this as it can save a lot of money on buying them at the store. Some things don't seem worth it when the seeds are so cheap anyway (1000 for £0.39 for example) but still I end up saving them myself instead because every little bit helps! I've tried saving the seed of things like plums and peaches but they never seem to actually grow, though. I think it's just too cold here for those to grow.