Saving Time Or Money?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Nov 20, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which is more important; saving time or money? I try to do both, bit sometimes time does play a factor. If I have to wait in line to pay for an item that saves a few pennies, then it's not always worth it. I don't mind waiting in line, and sometimes when you have done a big shop you just have to grin and bear it, but when you have a few items and the savings are minimal will you still wait if you are in a hurry?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to agree, I like to save time and money but I think time is more precious. I have often picked up a few items on sale, and then looked at the checkout, weighed up the wait time and decided the savings wasn't worth the time to check out. There are certain things I will wait for to save money, one being getting gas at Costco. Costco always has the best prices for gas and the longest line ups. I just try and go first thing in the morning so that I don't have as long a wait.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Some would argue that time is money. I try to save both time and money, however, there are certain things that I will put the time into in order to not only save money, but to also have a better quality product, such as cooking and baking from scratch.

When it comes to shopping, I see the value in shopping online to save both time and money on certain items. Usually there are promo codes to save money on shipping and off of your order, plus you can shop for what you need easily without having to wait in line. Unfortunately, shopping online is not practical for me for groceries, but I would do so if it were possible in my area.

4. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Like you said, I try to do both. But I'm always down for saving money so if I have to wait to do that I will. If it's just a couple of cents I probably wouldn't. You can save time also by being thoroughly prepared before you do your shopping. Get everything you need organized and keep track of it all in your mind and you can save time going through it all while standing in line. Prevention is good for saving time AND money!

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Between money and time, it's on a case to case basis. When we have no housemaid, that leaves only me and my husband at home. We either order food for delivery or eat out. That way, we save on time (and effort as well) in preparing food and cleaning the dishes after eating. But when there are more than 2 people to eat, we cook because that would save us money. That is one example based on our practice.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    More often than not I'd favor saving time over money just because I can make the money back whereas time that has passed can never be gained back. However, there are some situations where it is unavoidable to spend time instead of money, or sometimes I'd just feel like I could spend some time to save a few dollars and I'd be okay with it since I probably would just spend that time playing games or doing something unproductive anyway. Most of the time though I'd much rather just pay for something I can get in a hurry rather than spend a lot of time and effort just so I could get it for free.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Save both when you can. Since we all have some free time which isn't wasted no matter what you do, then we should shop only at that time. You wouldn't feel pressured to buy something that might be more expensive because you have other things that should be done. That's why I always do my shopping in the evening when I've got as much free time as is needed to hunt for and find the best deals.

8. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    Time is equivalent to money in my life. The number of hours I clock in at my full time and part time job is directly proportional to how much money I make in a day. So they are both important to me to maintain my life. But recently, I have come to realize that time is more important. It is irreplaceable, and once it is gone, you cannot regain it back; unlike money which is replaceable and could not be more important. I have now stepped backed a bit from work and constantly been giving more time to my family and friends.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do feel that time is money and I like to save both. I do not like to wait in lines to purchase any an item, If it is a matter of starting earlier during the day to avoid the long lines I start out very early. I try to save money but my time is important to me so I may pay a little more for something. I look at how long will it take me to get to that store to purchase that item to save how much money and usually I choose not to spend the time.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like what they say, time is money, so time is as important as money, so both should not be wasted. I don't usually buy a few items in the supermarket as well when the lines are quite long, and I'd rather go buy what I need in the more expensive but less crowded 24-hour convenience store.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that both can be very important, but it depends upon what the situation is of course. Personally though, I seem to lean more towards saving money. If I order something on Amazon, even if it is the same item, I will wait for it to take a little longer for it to arrive, as far as shipping goes, if it costs less money than the other option, which is next day delivery or arriving within two to three days.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In regards to school, there might be a situation where either I waited too late to order a textbook or I signed up for a class at the last minute. Nonetheless, due to constraints on time, especially in summer school, I might need stuff in a hurry. Therefore, I would consider the time to be superior to savings. Therefore, a more expensive item that could get to me faster would be preferable.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I would say both. I usually shop when I have time on my hands and that's how I get a lot of shoppin done with immense savings. I just got these coupons with amazing offers on more than 100 useful daily items!

These are so useful that I couldn't help but stock up my pantry as desired!

14. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I would try to save both. I only go shopping when I am totally free and I don't have any other important work on that day or even that particular tome that I do shopping. Otherwise, I will be in a hurry and forget some items, get irritated for standing in a queue thus wasting time by not stopping properly.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Time and money are both important so in most cases, I try to save them both. Like for instance whenever we go out and we're in a hurry, we just take a cab instead of taking the bus to save time, even though it will cost us a lot compared in riding the bus. But sometimes, we choose to spend more time just to save money especially if we are on a tight budget :)

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think saving time certainly is much more important than saving money, after all... If we have more time left, we have more chances to make money. It's almost like a rule to be followed.

I mean: time is money, right? :p

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd wait in line to save money in any amount, because we got to wait anyway to pay in line. Most of the times many stores ask for more cashiers, when there is a rush of shoppers paying at one time, so it's not so bad. A few pennies here and there adds up to dollars, so I'd wait in a line to pay. I ride the bus so I go shopping frequently too, but I got accustomed to going frequently for shopping.

18. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    If I am in a rush, I would not wait in line for a few pennies. Sometimes I just don’t buy anything if I am running short of time. I value my time more than the savings. However, I do take a sharing ride back to home after work, since I can afford the time taken, but not while coming to work. Then I prefer a mode of transportation which is faster.

19. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    In some capacity I can pretty much assume that I think about this and the differences here on a daily basis. It is funny the disconnect though, because I never seem to equate the two properly, even though we all know that time is money in a lot of cases.

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There is a saying that relays time is precious. Wasting it, it couldn't be regained. The time lost is gone. So, it is better to make use of time while there is an opportunity to do things rather than waiting for tomorrow what you can for today.

Another point is about money. Money is the medium of exchange. It is being earned by doing a work or a job for a pay either in the easy way or the hard way. Saving it is for the rainy days, for emergency or for something which is beyond expectation. Therefore, to save time and to save money has one purpose for convenience and in case of urgency.

I would rather save both, time and money.