Saving While on Vacation

Discussion in Food & Drink started by steph84 • May 22, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I am going on a mini 4 day vacation this weekend and my budget is severely limited. I have around $60 to last me 4 days worth of meals. What are some ways I can save money? I am going to take a greyhound so my travel expenses are pretty low. I just have to pay for meals and I don't know if I can do it with $60 for Saturday through Tuesday morning. Any tips?

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    Pack a crock pot and brink your basics, like potatoes, etc. and you can run to a grocery store while you are there to get things like meat that wouldn't last in your take along bags.

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I would pack some inexpensive food like crackers, soup, chips, sandwiches and cereal. Save $25-$30 to splurge on one meal out the last night. After all part of vacation is eating out! Besides it will be a nice reward after saving by eating your home food. Also look out for restaurant coupons, they help you save ore than you think.

4. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I would stay in a place that serves breakfast and take an extra bagel or 2 for later. I would stop at the grocery store and buy a large already made sandwich for lunch. Most places have specials for meals. Just get the special.Or order of the kids menue. There is always the dollar menue at many fast food chains. I say bring your own snacks and drinks from home.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Lets see - Pack your own food. Deli meats for sandwiches, snack packs etc. Make heavy food that will fill you and last like one pot meals and take it with you. If you can stay somewhere that breakfast is included go for it! If you can stay with someone else or "couch surf" even better because then your stay is free. Since you are taking a greyhound you have already removed the parking fees from your trip but try walking when you can. You not only get to see things better but you will save money on transit from place to place as opposed to taking a cab or a bus. If you can - try finding coupons for the area you will be in or specials that will be happening in the area. This forum much like many other discount pages have local specials you can take advantage of. Take your own camera - film is expensive. If its just you then 15 dollars a day should be enough. If their is a local fair of some sort - take part! Usually these fairs offer samples of food or a large plate for something as low as $3. Take advantage of natural resources - take walks or hikes in places where edible goods are available. Be careful that you only eat edible berries and goodies - wouldn't want food poisining. If their is live music take advantage. Its a free concert pretty much and usually these places have "competitions" throughout the night where the winner gets a free meal or drink. If all else fails and if you are single, find a cutie and try getting a free drink but remember SAFETY FIRST!!!

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Do what others have said and take some food along with you, and then research the area for all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants. Go there in the early evening, and pig out over an hour or two. Or go for 'Menu of the Day,' which is often the best value option. It's possible to eat on $15 a day if you do your research and don't just sit down in the first restaurant you come to.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    You can always buy fruit and veggies from a grocery store for real cheap, too. There are also lots of places with dollar menus now, too. Wendy's has a pretty good chicken sandwhich for a buck, if you get that and a dollar menu fries with a cup of ice water you'll get a nice meal for under $3!

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, stay in a place where you can cook. If there's a free continental breakfast, that's a huge plus. If you have access to a stove and bring some pots and pans, that $60 will go a very long way. If you don't have a stove, maybe spring for a hot plate to bring with you.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is what I was going to say. Many motels will have a continental breakfast included and at the very least, you can grab an extra muffin to snack on later. A good item to either take with your or buy while you're there is a jar of peanut butter. You can add that to bagels from breakfast for a more filling meal or you can have peanut butter sandwiches at some point. It's rather inexpensive and can last well through your trip and on.