Saving your memory

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 8, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Memory loss is common and is one of our biggest fears. Mental deterioration was once thought to be an inevitable consequence of ageing, because of the steady erosion of our brain matter: we lose about 0.5% of our brain volume every year. The hippocampus – the region responsible for memory and learning was thought to have deteriorated pretty badly by the time we are 90, many of us may have lost around a third of its grey matter.

Fortunately, recent research has shown that the brain is not concrete,so that, certain regions can adapt and grow.Challenging your brain could be one way of preserving your recollections – though the value of commercial brain training apps is debatable; some experiments seem to show that while people may become a whiz at the games on their screen, the improvements fail to transfer to daily life. But other, more traditional activities – like learning a musical instrument or a second language– do seem to have some protective benefits, at least on short-term recall. Ideally, it is probably best to keep your brain active throughout your life, well before you begin to approach your dotage.

Exercise and a healthy diet are also thought to offer some protection against dementia. As can an active social life – since regular contact with other people is also thought to excite our neurons and preserve our synapses. Ensuring that you regularly get a good night's sleep helps too_Of course, nothing can guarantee health and vitality in old age. But these few simple measures might give you the best possible chances of preserving your wits against the ravages of time.
    :)

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have studied in psychology, in one of my subjects that to have a healthy mind and memory while you age, is to never let your memory out of function. That means that don't ever think that your memory or your brain is deteriorating that you have an excuse to be less mentally active. Always strive to improve the plasticity of your brains. Keep it challenged always, solve problems that you would really be indulged into thinking and that you would have to spend a great deal of you attention. Another factor that also contributes for your mental and memory health is physical activity. Never just settle to a sedentary lifestyle. Keep your muscles working and strengthen them. Last, but equally vital is nutrition. Nutrition is the basic need that must be fulfilled to attain a healthy body and healthy mind, that be able to enjoy life.

3. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Saving your memory is a task unto itself. From what I have read there are a number of supplements that claim to aid memory but for me I believe that a good diet and exercise will help tremendously and also to do brain exercises such as crossword puzzles and answering mental problems.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I try to help my memory by eating more protein-rich food like nuts. :) Aside from that, I try to play memory games. :D