Savings when eating out

Discussion in Food & Drink started by GavinMcresty • Apr 27, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    How do you save money when you eat at a restaurant or elsewhere? Personally, I do not eat out a lot but if I do I try to go on days when they are holding promotions. I also either drink only tap water or bring my own drinks (if this is allowed). I never really use coupons because I do not seem to find any for the places I go to. I would not be embarassed to use them though.

How about you? Do you avoid particular restaurants for being overpriced? Do you take the service into account when you work out if a place is value for money?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I take into account everything when I eat at a restaurant. Since there are so many of them, there really isn't much reason for any of them to slack, and as I've found out, most of them do so I don't support and go to those restaurants anymore and only go to the ones who seem to actually care about what they do. As for savings, fortunately, I am able to find online coupons for those restaurants that I frequent, and I sometimes get savings of up to 40% for them. If I'm feeling particularly frugal, then I will just not eat out and probably open up some quick fix microwavable meals or canned goods instead, and just save up for the weekend and just splurge then.

3. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    When I was pregnant, I was not allowed to drink any juice and soda, much more wine and alcoholic drinks. So when we would go out, I always had my water tumbler with me. I often got unsolicited looks, but I did not care. I felt I had no reason to explain why i prefer having a water with me than to order for drinks, but I would always give the waitress a hint why I had the tumbler, and I would get an agreeing nod from her. I realized then that it is one way of saving, so even after birth, I carried the deed. Now, every where I go, I have a tumbler with me and would inform the waitress (if asked) that I am into living healthy and drinking water is one of the ways to do it.

I also am fond of searching for vouchers and coupons that we can use in the area where we frequent for dinner. Saves a huge amount of money!

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There's nothing wrong with ordering waters when you go out to eat, it can easily knock $8-$10 off the check for a family. They'll probably try to upsell you bottled water, only because they are required to. You will likely get mean looks from the servers if you also ask for extra lemon wedges with them, and start making lemonade at your table with the sugar packets.

When going out to dinner, some restaurants will also still sell lunch portions which cost a few dollars less. It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you're not super hungry.

Also, be sure to tip the server on the full price of the check, before the discounts or any coupons are taken off of it.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the place and type of food being served. One way to say is to go to places that offer simpler fare that is also healthy. Even if you go out for sushi you can save by having soup and salad and then ordering fewer rolls. Sometimes the combination dinners/chef specials are more affordable than ordering individual courses. Have a snack or appetizer at home before you go, or plan to have dessert at home when you return.

6. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    If I am eating out then I don't want to drink tap water. A glass of wine, or several if I am not driving, is part of the experience. What my friends and I do is take advantage of special offers such as 3 courses for £20.00 and the like. We are still getting a super meal at a really nice place, but we are not paying over the odds for it. And we can still enjoy a drink, too.

7. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to take my kids to the buffet places. And also there are restaraunts that have free refills on drinks. We definetly avoid higher priced restaraunts like Applebees, Red Lobster, and Garfields. We prefer to go to places like Big Boy or other family style restaraunts. Sometimes the lunch menu is cheaper than the dinner time menus. And ofcoarse we are always on the lookout for two for one dinners and coupons. But obviously your best bet is to prepare your own meals at home.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I usually find several ways to save money when I go out to eat.
    I personally like to go to country buffets because usually what I don't finish eating we take with us because the restaurant provided us with baskets to out our leftovers and we stocked up a bit(haha). This is the main reason I like going to buffets rather than some restaurants that give small portions for a high price.

9. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Doesn't that get abused by some people? Restaurants would not allow that in the UK. In a buffet restaurant, you can eat all you can while you are there, but you cannot take food out with you.

10. dagz16

dagz16New Member

Threads:
    We usually avoid alcholic drinks and go for water most of the time. Also you can share plates and save a lot of money doing that, but probably the best way to save money is never go to a resturant very hungry.

11. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    Most of the time when I eat out I am having sushi which is generally cheap already. I rarely order anything to drink other than water so at the end my portion of the meal rarely costs more than $15. I occasionally order some wine or beer if I am eating at a restaurant but just ordering water can save quite a bit of money!

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I take advantage of the fact that most restaurants serve overly huge portions, and I usually just split an entree and/or an appetizer with somebody. I'm not a big fan of restaurants enforcing portion control, haha! I want as much food as I can get for my money, and I'll exercise my own portion control by either splitting with somebody or carrying food home in a doggy bag.

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I don't go out often but when I do I just stick to like fast foods or something

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Restaurants as a rule, are always expensive as compared to fast food, so to be able to save money, just go to a fast food establisment or a diner. Restaurants are for those who want to splurge. But sometimes some fast food chains give out discount coupons, so I use them sometimes.

15. byersals

byersalsNew Member

Threads:
    I love coupons for when we go out, or we will try to save by doing one of those set meal plans, where you can buy two entrees for $20. Also, with our little girl, we always like to find the locations that have kids eat free nights. Usually she does not finish her food anyway, so any time I can get it for free, I am there.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes get coupons for the places I eat and I have no problem using them sometimes I can get a meal and only 3 bucks.

17. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes use coupons to save on eating out. There is usually a coupon for a restaurant in the Sunday newspaper where I live. I also usually drink water instead of soda or juice. Another way I saved saved on eating out is by doing mystery shopping. I use to be a part of a mystery shopping site. My mystery shopping job would sometimes involve me going to a particular restaurant and rate the appearance and service. I would have to pay upfront, but I was reimbursed on my expenses,

18. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    I've yet to find a place that serves a cheaper delicious burger than McDonalds. My frugality has me priced out of the more expensive fast food joints. I don't usually eat at other places when I'm in a poor financial state; if you want to save money, don't eat out at all.

19. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the best way to save is to wait for the special nights, especially all you can eat nights. I always keep a look out for all you can eat nights and I take full advantage when I am there!

I recently went to an all you can eat barbecue ribs night and it's fair to say I got full value for money, It's impossible not to when you can eat as much as you want!

20. bonniea

bonnieaMember

Threads:
    I like to eat out so I use discount coupons. Restaurant.com has restaurants all across the country. This means even when I am on vacation I can get coupons to restaurants, which generally cuts eating costs in half. Groupon and Living Social are also sites that are nationwide and have restaurant discounts. Eating out at lunch or sharing meals is another way to save. Often the lunch portions are not much smaller than the dinner portions, but the costs are significantly lower. If you eat at 3 or 4, you still get the lunch menu prices but it can serve as your dinner.