Scams On Ebay

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Dec 16, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Scammers can hack accounts on eBay or some other auction site and if you attempt to buy something from this person your money will be stolen. While we always should be looking for great deals, if you see an item is ridiculously priced and you are being offered a huge discounts [as much as 60%] then it would be wise not to buy the item. Find out the price of the item elsewhere on the net. If the item costs only a fraction of its "average" price take a step back and you'll have saved that money.

When the deal is too good . . .

2. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    Even if you purchase through PayPal? I know some buyers will try to lure you to their site in order to buy their products, so you're not protected by eBay and PayPal, but I've never heard of anyone being scammed directly from eBay.

If I'm not mistaken, eBay even warns buyers not to leave eBay to complete an order because of the scams that have happened before.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paying with Paypal guarantees the buyer some relative safety but it doesn't give you a 100% guarantee that you won't get scammed. What of the wily scammers whose intention was to make some fast money? They can build some credibility and seize the opportunity to steal some money at a time like now when people are buying gifts for their loved ones?

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up. It is especially difficult with Ebay, I feel, because on Ebay many items are ridiculously low priced, which is what makes it Ebay, and is the very reason why many people opt to go to Ebay over say Amazon or other popular online websites. But I agree with Dennis, paying with Paypal, often adds that extra security in against being scammed.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apart from the said reason, sometimes the items can be priced really low because the quality is inferior, just like those fake flash drives that are being sold in Ebay, so do not fall for unusually low priced items.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I didn't know accounts could be hacked that easily on ebay. Thankfully I did set different passwords for all my other sites that I use in conjunction with it so hopefully that will be an added security measure. I do try and not get too carried away whenever I see good deals online though and instead I just try and calm down for a bit and check out each small detail especially the feedback and I do this even more so when I know I will be spending a lot on a certain sale.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If you buy through PayPal your money is almost 100% certain to be safe, because you can be refunded if something goes wrong. You should try to use sellers who have a positive feedback level though, as this gives you a better chance of having an overall positive experience. But don't worry too much - eBay does have certain protection for buyers that avoids scams from occurring.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say I'm extra careful on eBay. I tend to buy from US/UK buyers ONLY, and even then I won't go below 97% star rated sellers. I try to read the negative reviews to see how reasonable or unreasonable the disgruntled buyers are being. Of course, I could still get stung, but I feel so much better and safer buying from those areas, and I have yet to experience anything off the scale nasty.

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought on ebay in the past and was never scammed fortunately. Ebay does have tips on how to be a safe buyer like never going off site to close the deal. Sometimes you do things on impulse and it leads to really bad things like scammers. Life would be easier without such people but the best we can do is report them when we see them and become smart shoppers.

10. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the information @Denis Hard@Denis Hard! :) I have also never thought that someone could also get scammed through Ebay. But if you come to think of it, almost any online site can be a place for scammers to find potential preys. This is also the reason why I prefer transacting online through Paypal and I also make sure that the bank account I register with Paypal is a separate one from the regular bank accounts where I constantly deposit my money.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, they have a whole faq dedicated to staying safe. I have not read it though, as it is a little long for my tastes. They recently sen me an email, prompting me to agree to their updates, and that my agreeance would lead to more safety for my account, but I thought it was a phishing attempt, so I did not follow he instructions.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used Ebay for so many years and haven't been scammed yet. I pay through PayPal and I'm extremely choosey when it comes to the sellers and reviews, so at least until now, I've been fine. I'll buy from any country too.. in fact in all my time purchasing items online (all over the net) the only people/businesses who ripped me off were American.

13. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Just as people are extremely iffy of buying from eBay. It is extremely hard for people to sell on eBay without being scammed. I know that when I used to sell there would be people that would try and put claims on me. They would say the item was missing even though I have tracking and proof that I packaged them. Yet, I still lost them regardless even with all that proof.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Snap. I am exactly the same. I have not been using ebay for years, but probably the last two or so. But I am extremely meticulous in which sellers I purchase from. Even if the seller has a great feedback rating, if I read the reviews and any of the negative reviews are reporting something that I feel is shady, I will go with a different seller altogether. I just don't want to risk it, and rightly so. I prefer to buy from the UK, because the item usually takes two days to arrive. From other countries, it takes longer and I am impatient. But congratulations on never getting scammed ;)

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that there is that dictum about being too good to be true. But for a fortunate transaction, I once had bought an item on a 70% discount and it happened to be true. In eBay however, I had been receiving advice to be careful because it is an open field that you may meet scammers (if not hackers) who are after your money.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I absolutely stick to Canada where I can.. everyone is suffering these days it seems, it's more important than ever to buy local. But sometimes what I'm looking for is absolutely nowhere but Mars and I have to go off and hurt my people lol. I haven't been to Ebay in ages though and probably won't be again until Christmas, so I'm not helping or hurting anyone either way.
    As for reviews, I find it pretty easy to see who is a risk and who isn't. There really is no reason to get ripped off on there when you take the time to look into the buyer for even 30 seconds.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    That is a cool way to look at it, as far as buying local. I never thought of it like that ;) No, I completely understand that sometimes what you are looking for is situated on mars lmao. A lot of people will only look the seller rating, ans as long as it is at a 98 or above, they feel secure in making the purchase. But I still say to read the negative and positive feedback ratings.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's with that though? Everything is on Mars, it's super annoying. Probably because not enough people buy local.
    Yeah, the ratings readers are what drives up their ratings.. jump into them for a second and see all the bad reviews. Even some of the higher ratings were once bad reviews that were rectified.. which isn't so bad, but if they match the bad reviews, it's still a red flag. You also have to be careful of the super cheap items.. a lot of the time most of their happy reviews are from resellers that don't care about the condition or quality of the product, they're just happy they saved a penny.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    Nothing is wrong with it at all. I know what a pain it can be to not be able to get what you want from anywhere, and then to find it on Ebay is a saving grace. You are just grateful they have it, and are not concerned about where it is from at that point lol. With services on Fiverr, like people offering to give good ratings and reviews for payment, you can never really trust sellers these days. it is sad. So you have to read the individual experiences that people have. I did not know that, but it makes all the world of sense. Always been cautious of super cheap products though, and avoid them

20. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had a problem with eBay before. I know that recently they were having people change their passwords as they were having problems. I like that they are on top of things like that. I never buy from someone with low ratings. I also check to see how long they have with eBay before I buy. I would never go off eBay in order to conduct business with someone since it is warned against doing that and it goes against eBay policy. I am confident that paying with PayPal is secure and I would get my money back if something were to happen.