Scents that transports you back to your childhood days

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jennifer • Aug 7, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We all have a scent that as soon as we get a whiff of it, it immediately takes us back to the days when we were young. It could be the smell of freshly mowed lawn that reminds you of your dad mowing the grass when you were small, or the smell of leather that reminds you of when you got new school shoes. What takes me back to my childhood are the smell of crayons. I loved coloring in as a young child and the waxy smell of crayons reminds me of lying on the sitting room floor on rainy days coloring in with by brother and sister.

What scent transports you back in time?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't want to smell anything that reminded me of my own childhood. It wasn't a good one.

Smelling baby products, like baby powder and baby shampoo reminds me of when my daughter was a little 7 pound baby. Even though she's a teenager now, Johnson's is still her favorite shampoo.

#2Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    The smell of a really cheap aftershave called Joop reminds me of my first boyfriend - I was only 15, naive and horrible to him! lol He was lovely though and I often wonder how life turned out for him. Also the smell of disinfectant, reminds me of my first job cleaning office blocks when I was 17, it was part-time while I finished college and I hated it!!

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The smell of the ocean is what transports me back to childhood. We lived in Southern California when I was a child and we went to the beaches all the time. I now live in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest and absolutely love it here. We are not near enough to the ocean to go there but occasionally the weather conditions are just right and the scent of the ocean makes it's way to us. It always reminds me of being a kid again.

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Lavender. The aroma of lavender always makes me think of my granny, who used to care for me as a child. When I smell it, I am 5 years old again! Uncanny. Also the aroma of oranges takes me back to days spent with my great grandmother. Really takes me back...Also, the children's bath products...wow, that really takes me back - as if it was yesterday! (-:

Nice question! Thank you...

6. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I can't recall scents that take me all the way back to my childhood. I think I'm too old for that now. But I know what you mean; it's like an Odor-DeJa Vu. Sometimes when I smell rain in the air, it connects me with water and takes me back to a time at the beach. If there's pollen in the air, it takes me back to when I was on vacation in Orlando during the Flower and Garden Festival. Even sometimes I will smell car exhaust and it takes me back to when I was going to college in New York City - a time I thoroughly enjoyed. I like when what you are referring to happens to me. Fortunately I've had scents that have taken me back to the good times. I look forward to more.

7. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, yes.... This reminds me of when I go to Church. I still go to the same Catholic Church, where I went to school. My parents are both passed away, so I don't have a family "home base", but every time I walk into that church I am not quite sure what it is, but there is such a familiar smell that really comforts me. I like to go there when things aren't going well for me, and I always feel better coming out of there. :)

8. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    There is a certain type of mold that I have only smelled a few times in my life. Initially, I thought it was confined to houses, but I found it outside as well.
    When I smell it, it takes me back to a rainy fall day and my first love :D.
    I would pay money to find out what it was specifically.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Bath and Body Works Pearberry

I moved a lot as a kid, but the most painful was when I was in 6th grade. I was leaving the best friends in the world. They threw me a surprise going away party and one of them gave me a bath set of pearberry. The scent was discontinued later, so it's not something I could continue buying for a long time. I held onto the little bits of each bottle so that any time I got a whiff, I was taken back.

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    My favorite scents from my chidhood was honeysuckle and roses. It remind me of the good old days when I didn't have no idea of what I wanted to be or become in my life and didn't give it to much serious thought. But the smell made it really nice when it was blowing through the windows at night before I went to sleep and when I awake in the morning.

11. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    Very nice question. Mine would probably be roses, my mom has always had TONS of roses of all different colors. I used to love smelling them when I would be playing on our playground in the backyards with swings and the slide. And my two sisters had a wooden playhouse my dad built and right outside the window were always beautifully smelling pink roses. I havn't thought of those times in a really long time, thanks.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I would always remember my childhood every time I smell that scent of liverspread. I was addicted to that before. Me and brother would always have liverspread every morning and the afternoon after we returned from class. Our mom would always make us sandwich with liverspread and put it in our lunchboxes.

13. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    Your post really made me smile. At first, when you said that you don't want to remember things from your childhood because the memories weren't good, I thought that was a negative mindset.. but when you said that you still love the smell of shampoo you would use on your child... hmmmm. idk... it warmed my spirit. I love how you found a way to transform the bad into a positive with your child, to give him/her what you may have felt you didn't have (I'm doing that with my children). Very nice post, it made me smile this Saturday morning. Mmhm... *nods*

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Another scent that reminds me of my childhood is when my mother would make us vanilla Ho-cakes cooking in the kitchen. That was the best smell in the world to know we had those for desert and we could take some for our school the next day. I don't know anyone that make those these days. I guess they went out of style after we grew up and I wish I had the ingredients for them now so I could make them.

15. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think I have a couple of scents that really takes me back to my childhood days and one of these, like freshly cut summer grass I would say that makes me think of the way things used to be back then, when I was growing up. There was always something relaxing about these smells and another was when some of the damp fallen leaves would give off a wonderful scent at times as well and makes me think of past autumn years. Also then when the sun shines on the leaves awhile it changes a bit as far as the bouquet or scent of the damp fallen leaves go.

#15Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017