School clothes

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my kids were 1-2 years old they were in a school that provided clothes for them while they were there. This was awesome because they didn't get the clothes dirty during the day. Is this common in other schools too?

2. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    When my son was in second grade, the school he went to was a uniform school and I loved the idea. I like uniform schools because that's one less distraction children have to worry about and one less thing that parents have to worry about when it comes to getting their kids ready for school in the morning. Uniforms always make kids look neat and clean, most importantly ready to learn. On Friday's the kids got to wear whatever they wanted, which was a nice change for the children.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uniforms are one thing, to be honest I don't like them too much, but at the same time they protect the clothes from school. I don't think that's the original aim from the uniforms though, while for babies that's the goal of it, the school takes care of everything.

4. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, all schools require uniforms. This goes for both government schools and private schools. I am not sure why this is the case, but it is how things are. It is nice that your children were provided uniforms. Here, parents have to buy uniforms and it can get pretty expensive, if you cannot sew them up for your children.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my state, it's up to each individual school whether they want to be a uniform school or not. My daughter's first year of high school did not require uniforms but they switched to a uniform school the next year because they didn't want kids to be judged on their clothes. That's pointless, because kids are still judged on their looks, weight, sneakers and cell phones, so making them all wear the same thing makes no difference. You're not going to cure teens of being superficial by making them wear a uniform because you can still tell who the rich kids are by their expensive sneakers and designer bags.

#5Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Again, I was not referring uniforms, I guess that the thread title is not too clear lol. I was trying to debate the fact that the school supplies the clothes "cost" free (sure, we pay for it at the end of the month). Either cases, that only makes sense with babies, not at a uniform age.

7. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Where I went to highschool they wanted to implement a uniform for a time but no one actually wore the uniform, only at important events or in case of important visitors at our school but we wouldn't regularly wear them. If I remember well we had to pay for them which was another let down and I really didn't like that but what can you do... we had to have them for the formal ocassions.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never seen this in a school in my local area, however I do think that it is a great idea. Also, because there are so many germs in a school environment, it is good that the children wouldn't be bringing those home with them. It would also save the parents having to spend a lot of money on uniforms, which I know is something that many of them struggle with, so it would help from that perspective, too.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I was having a discussion with one of my friends a while back, when school was starting, about how they were so unlucky to have girls because they ended up spending so much more on school clothes then they would if they had boys. I had to agree, because it was never really a large issue with our two boys, but they were aged apart well when it came to hand me downs so we also got really lucky there, so that might have also factored into it.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have not had the experience of the school providing clothes for my children. This is something that the parents are responsible for. Even daycare does not provide clothing for the children and you need to supply extra clothes for when they get soiled. This would be nice that it is provided but it is not something that is done where I am.

11. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... I don't remember my school providing a ready set of clothes for us when I was little. In fact, I don't think any school or daycare here does that. But I really think that it's a great idea as long as the clothes are clean and washed before and after each use. I am quite picky with the clothes my son wears and would rather wash them myself. After all, we do want to give them the best of our care, right? Anyway, if the school would be stringent with cleanliness as well, why not?:)

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, schools have uniform for their pupils and students. Some parents are trying to save money by buying cloth in the cloth market and have it made into a uniform by a tailor or dressmaker. That seems practical but when computations are done, it is cheaper to just buy the ready-made uniform being sold by the school. You can save on the time and effort as against the little amount you had saved from the cost.