School Dinners Or A Packed Lunch?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by littlewitch66 • Nov 7, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My granddaughter used to take a sandwich box to school every day but trying to find new ideas to keep it healthy and interesting drove me crazy.

She now has a school dinner, they are made from scratch, they're nutritious and healthy and to be honest they probably cost less than forking out for different items for a packed lunch. For those of you with children which do you prefer?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My friend's son has just started a new school and the queue for dinner was so long he was so hungry so she made him packed lunches. I think a mixture of the two is good because sometimes a hot meal is good, plus children try out dishes they may never have seen before. Also I think it's good for children to learn to eat together and be sociable, plus how to learn to queue patiently! I know I discovered puddings at school, ones my parents would never have given me.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am all about thinking ahead and planning your meal and brown bagging it, but I am not sure if people still call it that. It is much much cheaper too.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are no school children in our home. One neighbor told me that school lunch is not exactly cheap but she prefers it that making her children packed lunch. The school lunch is freshly cooked and the rice is hot so the students can have their appetite. Packed lunch is cold and may taste stale.

5. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you pack your child's food in a very advanced lunch box. Packed food may become cold enough to cause problems to the child's digestive system. It can also attract food borne disease causing pathogens, like staphylococcus. Packed lunch also secludes the child and s/he grows up not knowing how to eat together with his/her schoolmates.

6. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I think a combination of the two is great. Maybe once a week let them have a packed meal but the best option seems to be a freshly cooked meal from a school diner. It might also work out cheaper as school meals are usually subsidized. And you don't have to worry about cleaning up the school lunch containers.

7. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I feel the same and to be honest because by the time you have finished messing about trying to make a healthy lunchbox only to have them say "I don't like that" or find that they have wasted half of it, I would rather pay the money for a school dinner .. at least I can't see what they waste and I know they are all cooked from scratch.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    My mom would pack me my school lunch in rare occasions as I always had lunch at school since it was free for me. The food was okay and I tried to eat some fruit which was the only thing healthy they gave and the fruit felt refreshing. Sometimes if I got late to the lunch line the best food choices would be gone and it meant that I would be eating something I don't really enjoy, but I ate it because I would starve.

9. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Don't know really, but if ever, I wouldn't entrust my children's health by letting them do the school dinner or something similar. With lots of news about school children with even their parents getting sick and sometimes even poisoned because of some mishaps in food catering services in schools, I don't think I'll be ever convinced to trust them. So a food pack for me is still the best option.

10. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    I definitely wanted to have my daughter eat a packed lunch to ensure the food cleanliness and also to save time falling in line in their school dinner. I have seen videos on YouTube and Facebook from other countries serving nutritious and healthy lunch at school, but I just don't want my child's safety at stake. They may look promising as they serve it, but we didn't see how it's being made or cooked. That's just my two cents.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    If you think the food the school supply is healthy and even cheaper than you prepare for your granddaughter, then I think I will choose to go for school dinner. As a mom, I understand it can be quite time consuming or even stressful when we need to think about meals for our kids, especially if they prefer new recipes always. So, if I could "outsource" this portion to some trusted party, I would do so.

12. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a school going child, however, once my baby starts his school, I will always send packed lunch. When I was in school, I hated to eat school dinners. I complained my parents, however, they did not have time to make me a packed launch. Home made lunch is healthy for the child and save money money for parents.

13. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    If there was a child at home I would certainly opt for school dinner. All kids lining up there and eating together the same food is a healthy way to bond children. Also these days school food is cooked with nutrients in mind.

14. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Well honestly I think that a packed lunch is a more effective and sometimes more cheaper option than school lunch. You won't always know what is on the menu there or if your child will like whatever they are serving. It is better to let them have something they are accustomed to for a while. If money is the issue, then I just suggest trying to pick out coupons or give them package lunched certain days of the week.

15. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Armour LunchMakers are really the cheapest way to go, usually $1.00 a piece. School lunches (the ones at my school were seriously delicious, no kidding) are good a couple times a week. I remember the price was exactly $2.10 because my Dad would leave it out for me on the days they would have Sloppy Joes and pizza. Those were my 2 faves. But instead of doing the whole sandwich deal for a school lunch (lunchbox) ...nowadays they have the LunchMakers and IMO they taste a lot better than Lunchables, I like the Chicken Slices one or even the Pizza (no pepperoni)...but remember for the Pizza LunchMaker the kiddies would need access to a microwave.

16. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    The other benefits of the child feeding on the normal school diet is that, s/he is able to go through the whole school experience. As he struggles on the line with the other children, this prepares him for the future life. Small children also get an apettite when they are in a group of many other children.

17. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @mdbree17@mdbree17 I can see your point but UK schools have to meet strict hygiene standards and have regular checks from outside companies. I have been inside my granddaughter's school many times and always thought how clean it was. I was not allowed to go into the kitchen but it always smelt so fresh and clean from the outside. I can't vouch for other countries but I've never been worried about her eating school dinners.

18. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have children but my mum used to pay for school food for my sister. Later, my sister complained about not liking school food and so my mum started giving her packed lunch. There was really no use in paying for school food if the child was refusing to eat. In addition, school food was expensive and she complained that they always served less.

Anyway, my point is that it depends with the school and if the food is affordable in addition to how well the cooked it.

19. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    That's so good to hear and they've been ensuring the safety and cleanliness in school dinners. How I wish it can be the same here in my country. Kids eat nutritious food at home and in school. How lovely it is. Also to avoid food poisoning.

20. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think it's good if all other countries follow the way and ensure the hygiene, nutrition and safety of the kids' food in school. There was once I was looking for kindergarten for my eldest, and when I saw the weekly menu for the kindergarten, I didn't think I would like my kids to eat those food as I don't think those are healthy for young kids. Some schools even allow junk food to be given to young kids.