Schweppe's Sparkling Seltzer Water

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • May 28, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    $_35.JPG

We recently got a case of this stuff by accident - actually, my folks noticed that someone left a case of it in their cart in the parking lot, so they brought it home, lol.

I used to only get seltzer water at bars from their tap, or would occasionally buy a bottle of it to make cocktails at home, but it would often go flat right away. This is the first time I've ever tried the canned variety, and this stuff is delicious!

It actually tastes even more carbonated than the bottled seltzers I've bought in the past - perhaps the can does a better job from keeping the carbonation from leaking out than the bottles do? I dunno, but I could definitely tell a difference.

I quit drinking diet sodas a few years ago, and had switched over to making my own iced tea. But I've always missed that sparkling fizz and crispness from soda. This stuff hits the spot perfectly and there is absolutely nothing bad for you in it - no artificial sweeteners, no sugar, no harsh acid, etc...

I'm thinking about playing around with some fresh fruits in it - not to make a full blown sugary sweet drink which is just as bad as regular pop, but something just lightly flavored with a few pieces of fruit - perhaps some watermelon chunks, or maybe some sliced grapes.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seltzer water is always better in the can compared to bottle, and that goes for carbonated drinks of any variety or brand. The stuff tastes good, though I'm not the biggest fan of seltzer water out there.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I like seltzer water even if drank alone. However it is great for cocktail mix whether includes alcohol or not.

Summertime is just around the corner, and carbonated, cold drinks used to be some of the best refreshment during this season of the year.

I would try to experiment a bit before sharing my mixes with guests though.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, man. I love me some seltzer. No tonic though. Ew.

I had a similar situation where I started to cut drastically back on diet sodas because of the aspartame & whatnot. I found that seltzer was a great replacement for me. Then I found I was spending far too much on it. So, I decided to invest in a SodaStream (a gift actually but I still consider it an investment). Simplified my life. Also allowing me to carbonate the tap water as much or as little as I please.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tasted this water before, so I can't comment on it specifically. But I prefer "normal" water to sparkling water, I don't feel that it quenches my thirst as well as still water. Maybe I should give it a go and see why it's got all you guys raving about it LOL :)

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The main reason I enjoy carbonation in drinks is because it kind of cleanses your palette a bit. Especially when I am eating rich foods that otherwise leave a "greasy" feeling in my mouth, the fizziness kind of gets rid of that in between each bite. I wouldn't chug seltzer if I was super thirsty - I would still stick with plain water - but for eating and sipping between bites, it's nice.

The other added advantage is that its also handy to remove stains from clothing - so it's always nice to have some on hand if you get sauce on your shirt/pants or perhaps spill something on your carpet.

I'm also thinking maybe some crushed up fresh pineapple would be nice in it too now, lol.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As good as this carbonated stuff might sound, I never touch anything from Schweppes. I don't like to support that company for various reasons that I won't state here. I much prefer to buy pure mineral water with or without gas.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I found an interesting recipe to try out this weekend and thought to share it with you to see how it works for Schweppes

Sparkling Iced Tea with Lemon, Cucumber and Mint
    Recipe courtesy of Liesbeth Smit @ Harvard T.H. Chan

Ingredients:
    1 liter water
    2 green (or herbal) tea bags
    2 lemons
    2 limes
    1/4 cucumber, sliced
    1 bunch fresh mint leaves
    1 liter unsweetened seltzer
    Ice cubes

Boil water. Let it cool for 10 minutes. Add the tea bags and half of the mint leaves and let it steep for 5 to 10 minutes. This will make a less bitter tea infusion, which is perfect for iced tea.

Squeeze the lemons and limes, reserving a few slices for decoration. Add the lemon and lime juice to the tea infusion. When the mixture has cooled down, add the cucumber slices and the rest of the mint leaves.

Mix 1 part of the tea infusion with 1 part of seltzer just before serving. Decorate with mint leaves, a lime or lemon slice and some cucumber slices.

Let's see how it tastes, don't you think?

9. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    Oh we have a lot of that here in Germany.
    We often mix it with pure juices, such as apple or orange juice.
    In Switzerland they like to mix it with fruit syrups.
    It is definitely tasty!

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer still water over sparkling. But recently, I decided to try using flavoured sparkling water as a mixer for my cordial and I was taken aback by just how delicious it turned out! Not only that, it's great during a scorching hot day. I'm guessing I could also use plain as opposed to flavoured sparkling water and have the same taste, only not as sweet. So that's what I intend to try next. I've seen the Schweppes Seltzer sparkling water around, so I may give that a try :)