Sea salt

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Nov 13, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy regular salt, but lately I started to buy sea salt and I do notice a difference. Sure, it doesn't look so good, it's seems to be more wet, but it's a natural product, it's not refined in a factory and I am sure it's healthier. Do you use it as well?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried it before, and I have to say it adds much more flavor to food than regular salt. However it is fairly expensive where I live, so I don't buy it as often. Most upscale restaurants should use sea salt in their fare, you could always request for it.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    The flavor is much better. It's more of a "soft" saltiness than the "hard" saltiness of regular table salt. I get Celtic Sea Salt in the bulk section. It is said to be one of if not the healthiest salts you can use as it has lots of trace minerals that are very good for you.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I gave up table salt years ago.

I use the rock salt that comes with a grinder. A little goes a long way. It doesn't give my food a salty taste. I have also tried the Himalayan Rock Salt. I do like it, but the rock crystals get stuck in the grinder and breaks it. I end up with a nearly full grinder of salt that I can't use.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never use any other salt but natural sea salt. As a matter of fact, I haven't eaten any other salt in over 20 years. I never touch commercial salts that have been processed in various different ways and contain additives such as anti-caking agents. To be honest, I won't add any salt to my food if it isn't natural sea salt.
    I don't just use it in my food, but I also clean my teeth with it and make facial and body scrubs which I use as a method of natural skin exfoliation.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I use sea salt the vast majority of the time and I notice an obvious difference in both quality and flavor as well...you don't need to use as much and it does seem to be a healthier option, with that in mind. I'm happy with the switch :).

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've used Lawry's sea salt before and I agree that it does have significant difference over regular salt. I don't think it's good substitute for everything though as I still prefer to use regular salt for some dishes whenever I'm cooking. I find that I mostly like using sea salt for when I know I won't be cooking it down because the natural taste of it uncooked is very good.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sea Salt is one of my go to spices these days. I also use Lowry's Sea salt on some of the dishes I prepare and really like the flavor.

One thing that people might not have tried before is adding it with popcorn. My roommate recently bought his own homemade popcorn maker and adding Himalayan sea salt to it is absolutely delicious and makes it taste almost identical to movie popcorn. It's hard to go back to the bagged popcorn after having homemade.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, people use sea salt more than the iodized one. One, it's very cheap here unlike in other countries. Two, it's healthier even though many claim otherwise. Food also tastes better with sea salt.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, Philippines are an island so I imagine that it's much cheaper to get sea salt than the factory one. Even so, you win both ways because sea salt is something much healthier that brings all the natural ingredients from the ocean, I think that's worth a few more cents.

11. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do use sea salt. I won't use the regular salt. I really love that sea salt is unrefined and is not processed with a lot of nasty chemicals and I am also glad that it is not iodated. Table salt is also stripped of the nutrients that it once had. Someone once cooked me some food a couple of months ago and I was trying to figure out the taste that stuck out to me that wasn't pleasing to my taste buds. It was table salt. It's amazing how the taste buds can pick up on distinct tastes.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer the look of sea salt, and yes, we use sea salt almost exclusively for salt in our home...I notice a difference in taste as well, and the quality of it is certainly better. It's great to cook and season with :).

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is sea salt really healthier than iodized and packed rock salt? I think there's not much of a difference, though, except that iodized salt has finer grains with more iodine content. I have yet to research on the health benefits of sea salt, the taste of which would undoubtedly be a lot saltier.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where I m going to use the salt. If I am just to use the salt for ready eating, say if I would have to couple it with my meal directly then, I use the regular salt, but if the salt should have to be something that I would use to marinate a meat or a fish for frying, then I use the sea salt.

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the taste is good, although one thing you need to watch out for is iodine deficiency. Table salt has added iodine, but sea salt does not, therefore you need to ensure that you are getting iodine from other sources, to make up for what you would have got from table salt.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    All those chemicals that are claimed to be in table salt as you call it are added after the factories processes, so for one "artificial" chemical that it's added, most likely a dozen is lost, so it's way more complete and healthy the sea salt in my opinion.