Seasonal And Holiday Sales Good Time To Stock Up On Meats

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by thisnthat • Jul 5, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    There are usually several different types of meat that go on sale between Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. Since there will be lots of picnics, barbecues, cookouts, and stuff like that, the meats that people like to grill are often on offer during the summer months, especially around these holidays.

If you have a freezer, this is a great time to shop for bargains on meat. You can separate your finds into smaller packages and pop them into the freezer for later use. Of course, you may use some of them now as well, but it's also a good opportunity for stocking up before the colder months arrive again.

Do you take advantage of these sales?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember my mother who would buy the uncooked leg of ham one month before Christmas. She said that it is still cheap because prices normally jack up in December. If there is a budget, she would buy 3 or 4 of that ham that she later would sell to neighbors for a profit. But that ham can last for years since it is cured meat. For holiday meat like beef or chicken, we never buy in advance because it is not really as fresh when it is frozen. And although the frozen meat can last for a month, the taste will not be the same. Besides, there are occasions when power would suddenly vanish for hours. Tha would definitely spoil the frozen meat.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking more in terms of things like hamburgers, hot dogs, sausages, chicken, ribs, and other stuff that is normally purchased to cook on the grill. You can get bargains for all your barbecues by hitting these sales.

I see your point though. I probably wouldn't buy the meat for the Christmas meal months in advance either. Around here, there are usually sales again during that time of year for hams and turkeys and such for major holiday dinners.