Seasonal Sales

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Alexandoy • May 5, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you take advantage of the seasonal sale such as Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s, summer and midyear sales, mother’s day, etc.? When we have to buy furniture or appliance, we wait for the seasonal sale that usually offer discounts. When we bought our 40-inch tv, it was only for 20k pesos (about $400) but before the Christmas sale it was 28k pesos. That’s a mighty big discount that we got. Our bed which was also expensive was bought during the year-end sale of the nearby furniture store. Now that I plan to buy a new laptop, we are waiting for a season sale.

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I do wait for such seasonal sales. Here we used to have big discounts offline and online stores during Diwali festival. So I always wait for it for big shopping. Even I have got TV(online purchase) in really good deal in compare to offline deals. And it is working really well right now. So yes it is worthy to wait for such seasonal sale as we can save lots of money by it.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I too wait for seasonal sales as it will be more affordable for me. If it is an emergency then I would buy it without waiting for the seasonal sales. But buying in the seasonal sale saves us a lot of money as we will get the same product with discounts and offers. We brought our T.V and laptop in a seasonal sale.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too I love seasonal sales. You can get so many things on sale and discounts when seasonal sales rolls around. I always wait and take advantage of seasonal sales. Then there's the after the seasonal sales, discounted items going for sometimes 75% off, so it's even a greater bargain buying time!

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I try to take advantage of such sales as much as possible. I'm not always able to do so, but if I have the money, I do. Sometimes, I plan ahead for them and save up some money, if there is something specific that I want to buy that I know will be on sale at a specific time of year.

I try to pick up a few seasonal clothing items, at post season sales too. The basis stuff doesn't really need to be from the latest season. Flip flops and beach towels and stuff like that don't work even if they are "so last year."

I used to save even more money with these kinds of sales when my kids were little. Walmart used to have a sidewalk sale every year at the end of summer (they might still do it). I'd pick up shorts, tank tops, swimsuits, and more at a big discount. I'll have to check this year and maybe get myself some things.

We got our TV at a pre-holiday sale rather than post holiday though, since it was a special offer during a Black Friday sale. I rarely attend those (unless I can just shop online), but this time, it was worth it.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we have plethora of such sales even without any reason or particular season. In fact, when a lot of a company is rejected by a foreign buyer the company tries to dispose it in local market in the name of "SALE" and recover their production cost. They generally sell these items on almost half the original price. These items, generally clothes might have or might not have defect marks but they are not visible so all such "Sales" draw a bumper crowd.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have always planned some of my shopping around seasonal sales events. I view this as means of maximizing my spending ability. Many people might agree with this concept, hence, the reason for the bumper crowds at the events.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I wait for these sales to turn up, and buy most of my family's clothes during festive sales. The same apparels which we need to buy in MRP, cost at least 20-25% less. I prepare a list in advance, and make full use of festive sales.

However, these days, there have always been some sorts of sale in the online platforms. So, my craze of buying and accumulating has reduced to some extent.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When ever I have the money I do take advantage of those sales. It feels good to know that we can save hundreds of dollars with those sales. Right now there are so many sales everywhere and I would love to get them all before they are gone unfortunately money is low. I guess I will wait for the next sales.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am hoping that the summer sales will pick up here a little bit. It seems that this year I have not really seen much of anything, which is a little alarming for me.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually speaking there are so many "Special Sales" due to cutthroat competition in between e-commerce sites that almost every fortnight is a seasonal sale. I have been watching the market trends for last couple of years and find some or the other e-commerce site starting a sale for a reason best known to them. I am surprised to see that people have so much extra money available that they do not mind replacing their few months old gadgets for the sake of "Upgrading" them.

12. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Every year I do take advantage of what Amazon and others offer. I have taken advantage of Black Friday and Christmas sales. And it seems to be working on many offers. I got Amazon Prime so this is good enough for me. I think for each region things could be different with their local customs and the offers. And things surely change that way. I guess we have to think of things in that direction.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I take advantage of seasonal sales. In fact, I wait for the seasonal sale to kick off and buy things during the sale. It saves you a lot of money. sadly, seasonal sale is not always cheap. Some stores hike the price during the holidays and then offer discounts, which means you are paying the same price for the product. If you have not done the reality check, you might be tricked.

14. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good point, @luri@luri. You do have to watch out for these and other tactics (like bait and switch). I always say it pays to be aware of what prices should be. That way, you won't get fooled as easily.

On some shopping sites, you also have to watch out for price changes, especially if there are multiple sellers. You see an item, like the price, come back later to get it, and it's quite a bit more. The original seller sold out of the item, and the next guy bumped up the price after seeing the demand. It's a good idea to grab something when you see a good price, if you really want it.

On Amazon, I usually tried to buy things that are fulfilled and shipped by Amazon and not a third party.

15. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, sometimes they do have some good deals on products in the brick & mortar store, because they have to make room for next year's stock-but of course online you can get bargains at any time of year. When shopping online also make sure to take advantage of the online coupons-you can find great discounts and they may offer free shipping as well. Also be careful shopping in the brick & mortar kind of stores-just because a product is marked down,does not mean its always a great bargain to be had.