Second Hand Cds

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Sunflogun • Sep 10, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    CDs are something of the past, but these days we can still find great deals on original CDs, but most of them second hand. Do you think this is worth it or do you prefer to listen to music digitally?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This might surprise you but there are lots of people who still buy used CDs. I've looked around some sites where they sell them and saw some which sell for as low as $1. It's like everyone is selling their old CDs and will take any money that is offered.

Cheap though they might be, I don't buy used CDs anymore. There are lots of sites where you can listen to free music online.

3. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer digital music. I find I don't want to listen to many of the songs on CDs. Why pay for all of it when you can cherry-pick the stuff you like?

That aside, I find it difficult to justify dedicating a ton of space in my already-packed apartment to CD cases when you I fit basically hundreds of the things in a device that fits in the palm of my hand. Cheap or not, used or not, CDs are pretty inefficient.

4. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Not all digital music is free SLTE, but yes, I do agree that CDs are something of the past. Either cases, they do bring a lot a lot of memories and seeing originals so cheap it's a real temptation and a great bargain too.

5. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't say or mean that it was free. I meant that there's no point in purchasing an entire CD worth of music when you only want one or two of the songs. I'd much rather pay $1.99 or whatever for a single song that I'll listen to over and over than $20 for fifteen songs that I may listen to once or twice. You don't get that kind of a deal with CDs - it's all or nothing.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that if it is free, then it is worth it. I don't understand why people would spend a lot of money on CD, especially second hand ones, when you can get entire albums digitally, and for free these days. These digital albums take up no space in your home, and even if you do want a physical copy of the music, then you can easily buy some blank discs and burn the albums to the discs yourself, for next to nothing.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Um, CD's are "digital", lol. Damn, you're making some of us feel old. I'll assume you were referring to possessing music on something such as a hard drive or via streaming, instead of owning a physical CD.

I would say 99% of the time these days I listen to music either via Spotify or Youtube, or on rarer occasions, MP3's that I've downloaded. I pretty much quit collecting music via MP3's years ago, after I lost a couple hard drives with my entire music collection on them. I'm not saving a whole lot if I have to keep dropping a couple hundred on a new hard drive every other year.

That said, one of the main reasons I would look over second hand shops for CD's would be to find rare out of print stuff. In the 90's in particular, there were a lot of "maxi singles" released, which contained a bunch of rare tracks that you couldn't find anywhere else. These also were only produced in very limited quantities, so they are near impossible to find these days. Even MP3 sites and streaming services don't have many of these tracks.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will no hesitate to buy a second hand CD provided it is original, I like song, and it is cheap. But another condition is that I would have to test the entirety of the CD. Or better yet, provide me with a conditional return/exchange for 7-days scheme because CDs are susceptible to damages particularly the old CDs, they don't play well in the middle part. So be careful of CD whether brand new or second hand.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's worth it to collect CDs if you're really into that, but it will probably take a very long time for their value to build up and even then it's hard to tell which ones will yield the best prices. I think it's still good to buy physical copies if you can because a lot of them are sold cheaper nowadays but it's better to make sure you get to inspect the item first so you can be assured there will be mo scratches on the disc or if you're like me you can also make sure the case isn't too dinged as well since I hate replacing those.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well most older cars have CD players in them and many people still buy CDs. So, I think there is still a market for them. In fact a lot of collectors have old 45 records, sometimes massive collections of them. I think CD's are the same. I knew someone who had a wall of at least 1,000 and probably more. As for second hand, I think some are good and some are not. I bought one second hand recently, and saw a scratch and asked for a reduced price...but the CD is not good, skips all the time. I should try to remove the scratch, on the other hand I bought another one from a different vendor and it is perfect.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just download music online, but if I come across a 2nd hand CD then I will just buy it if it's only $1 and it has very minimal and fine scratches. I'm paricularly fussy about CD's having scratches, so if looks awful and badly scratched, I won't buy it. If you look at my CD's, they look pristine.

12. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's true, most cars still have the CD players and that is a limitation because I need to plug in my mp3 player to have access to my music. The next generation of cars will change this I am sure.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'd much rather get my music digitally than have a bunch of CDs. I used to have a lot of them a few years ago, but they just seem unnecessary to me nowadays.

14. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Sure and I think that everyone thinks like that. I have still a huge pile of CDs, but I rarely listen to them because it's far more convenient to access my digital music from my devices.