Second Hand Goods

Discussion in Misc & Others started by gracer • Jan 16, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, some people dress better in second hand clothes than others do in designer duds. I've seen plenty of people who spend lots of money on clothes but have zero taste and style.

I used to work at a fine dining establishment, and I had to dress up when I worked as the hostess. I couldn't afford fancy clothes, but I got nice stuff second hand. I picked a lot of classic stuff that I could mix and match, to get the most out of even my second hand finds (dress clothes still cost more than everyday clothes, even at the thrift store). I got lots of compliments. People joked that I must be getting paid too much if I could dress so nicely. Little did they know....

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I buy most of my video games second-hand at gaming stores. The reason being is that you cannot beat a situation where most of them are only around 7 to 10 dollars each. Nonetheless, occasionally, I might buy a new one at Wal-Mart or Target. Anyhow, I'm sure the biggest spot for buying used games is online. In fact, I don't see how these used game stores stay in business.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't much prefer second hand items that comes in direct contact with my skin as I have sensitive skin so I avoid clothes, shoes etc.

I wouldn't mind buying other stuffs though. We don't have such shops in my area otherwise I woukd have definitely checked them out as they are amazingly cheaper.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There are people who shop at the secondhand store and they have made a good buy or purchase of the items on sale. For me, every time I go to the capital city for a shopping and I always visit the secondhand bookstore for I am a bookworm. I always find good books which they look as brand new and they are sold at a very cheap price. How I wish I could have also visit other secondhand store selling slightly used electronic gadgets like cellphones, laptops, desktop computers, among others. But I have gotten a chance to do it. Probably sometime I will do my best for I need a laptop to replace my 8-year old 14-inch emachines which had already some problems.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, that is another great option. I've gotten some good deals on used games at Gamestop before. Also, some older or hard to find games are easier to get if you buy second hand. As long as they work fine, why not? The more you save, the more games you can buy. My kids love it.

I have to say that I have often done well with second hand shopping, especially in "gently used" stores. I find that the quality of older items is far better than most of the new stuff being sold today.

I've seen some (new) shirts recently that are so thin that they will probably be threadbare before the season is over. This applies even to some "good" brands. I compare them to shirts I bought years ago, and it's shocking. Some don't even have a real hem. A lot of stuff is just being made so chintzy now that I'd rather buy higher quality gently used items.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If the items are in certified good condition I may go for them. The second hand items I may go for are things like refrigerator, refurbished computer, good leather shoes. I will never go for second hand wears I just hate to put on what someone else wore and have sweated on before. That said, sometimes I have seen that some second hand items are strong and durable and compete well with the new ones.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I've been noticing second hand shops and consignment shops online more these days as well. There are some that will allow you to send in your stuff that you don't want any more for a bit of cash. You could sell off your old clothes and use the money to buy some "new to you" clothing and accessories.

Thred Up is one of the online stores that does this. You'll have to go over the details and do a bit of research, but it might be worth a look. Make sure to check out the rules carefully before sending anything in. I've seen some decent reviews for this site, although I haven't tried it just yet.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of things you really are better off buying used than brand new-and some of these include bicycles,DVD's,books and music CD's as well. I think though with second hand furniture,it is a good deal and of course, paintings and other antiques could be worth a fortune but you pay very little for them-but who knows these antique treasures could be worth a fortune if you do your research and turn around and sell them for quite a profit!

#28Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought all sorts of amazing second hand products and I appreciate them twice as much if I got them for a bargain price.

I got a good quality bike for my granddaughter from someone who didn't want much for it because they just wanted to get rid of it. When my kids were little and I didn't have much money I used to get designer label clothes for them in second hand shops. They didn't have a clue and used to strut around quite proudly in them.