Secret Menus

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Strykstar • May 21, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever ordered anything from Fast Food restaurants that's considered from the secret menu?
    I'm always hearing about crazy items that the workers know about but aren't advertised.
    Have you ever heard of this or ever done it?

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I've only heard of this with Starbucks, and I've always wanted to try one! I just looked up the one for McDonald's and they apparently have a chicken McGriddle! Whoa. I think it's kind of neat that places do that.

When I worked at Subway, we used to take the sticks of dough and roll them into balls, stuff them with various cheeses and pepperoni, and cook up an AWESOME pepperoni roll. I wish we were allowed to sell those, because they were awesome. We could have probably done lots of cool stuff, like calzones. XD

3. Chicken

ChickenNew Member

Threads:
    Yea I've heard of secret menu items. I've never actually seen anyone get any and I've worked at a few food joints in my youth and have never been exposed to any. I'll do some research to see if this is really anything.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried a few. In California, In & Out has a secret menu that isn't secret at all really. I love the animal fries. Loves me some animal fries. So, when I go out there that's always what I get. As far as Starbucks does, I tried one thing from their 'secret menu'. It was a Cap'n Crunchberry Frappuccino. Basically, it's a tall Strawberries and Creme Frap with 1 pump of Hazenut and one of Toffeenut. Tastes EXACTLY like a crunchberry.

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I've done it with In and Out and to me, it was just excess. Anyone can order a root beer float, Neapolitan shake or animal burger or fries. I got the animal fries and though I love onions and sauce, the tastes cancelled one another. Maybe it was just me. They say Starbucks secret menu is by location but I may try it someday.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm I haven't tried it with the fast food joints here in my country. I wonder if they even have secret menus. I think that they are too lazy to think of anything new for their customers. Everything is just recycled recipe.

7. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    This is my first time hearing of a secret menu, this is very interesting and I wonder if they do this in New York. If they do, I wonder why this is my first time hearing about this. It must really be a secret because I used to go to fast food restaurant's all the time and never heard about this or never heard anyone discuss this either. I guess only a select few people know about this, probably just people who work for fast food restaurants.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well I've done In-N-Out's (I miss them so much :'( lol) but their "secret" menu is anything but secret honestly. So I don't feel like I really have....I wonder if the secret menus are always legit? Or if sometimes they'd just have no idea at all what you're talking about?

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never tried to do this unless I knew the restaurant owner or employees very well. In most cases these restaurants are all owned by independent franchise owners which may or may not be up to date on the latest memes and trends. Consequently they may have never trained any of their employees about these "secret" recipes because they don't know what they are themselves. These may not even be official recipes but rather something that employees came up with at a single location and the word spread around. I wouldn't want to put the cashier or other staff on the spot trying to order one of these and they are not sure how to ring it into the register.

The only places I would do something like this at were Quiznos and TGI Fridays. I used to work next to a Quiznos and got to know the owners well because I went there several times a week for lunch. When they took their Monterey Club off the menu, they would continue to make it for me because they technically still had the ingredients to make it. With Fridays, I knew the menu very well because I used to work there, and would ask them to make he the "original" chicken nachos from time to time, which had sauteed peppers and onions and grilled chicken on tostada shells, topped with provolone cheese and broiled. Their newer recipe at the time had a taco sauce, and sour cream and other stuff that made the nachos too soggy, and no sauteed peppers and onions.

10. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, as others have mentioned, there are secret menus at places like Starbucks and In and Out, both of which I've tried and are extremely delicious. But other than that, it's more of a local thing I think with certain restrauants that might have some food orders that other people visiting wouldn't know about. With most fast food chains, their menus will be fairly standard.