Self-learning Vs Paid Courses

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by to7update • Nov 11, 2016.

?

What would your choice be?

1. Self-learning

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Paid Courses

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    There are quite a few courses that teach us the basics of software, computers, web development and so on. At the same time we can also do it for free using the internet. The question here is, is self-learning as effective as those paid courses or are there things we cannot simply learn alone?

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In a lot of ways, internet courses are the same as paid stuff at a university. In fact, some subjects are taught even better online. For instance, thousands of math students tune into their favorite online teacher everyday.

Anyhow, an online course doesn't give you any credit. It's like taking an audit at university rather than a real class. Therefore, most people would choose the credit, unless they're the type that just enjoys learning. However, what's wrong with that?

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of IT including computer courses which you can learn alone on the internet. I had such an initiative when I wanted to learn HTML though I lost steam midway. However, you can comfortably cover most courses at elementary and medium level because as you advance, you find more technical areas needing clarification and guidance.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Ultimately, it depends on what employers want. Do they want online certification, a good resume alone, or a bachelors or masters degree. I suppose it depends on the demand for the certain job vs the number of applicants. Does anyone have other ideas?

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I find paid courses an effective way of learning as there is a specified time limit where as I become lax when it comes to self learning and may miss out the correct flow or syllabus hence delaying the learning process all together.

It may cost me to pay but ultimately I can gain a certificate after which I.can earn much better and recover the tuition fee.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true, many times we have the skill and the know-how, but at the same time we don't have the credits and therefore companies hiring have to take our word for it. So basically many times we are not paying for the knowledge, but for the title and the certification, that's how it is.

7. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I've selected Self-Learning because at this moment I cannot afford the Paid Courses yet. I guess I would delve with Self-Learning courses first and then go with the paid ones because I still believe that having the correct guides can run you through courses easily, and most of your questions are sure to be answered.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's my first option too, I can't afford paying those courses without knowing if I will have a return on that investment. Something that I love to see is that people with no knowledge simply went on google and with the information found there managed to create successful business, there are a few of this cases that I've seen on Shark Tank for example.

9. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    I do prefer self-learning because it's more attractive to me, it is some kind of funny challenge to myself, and if in internet there are a lot of good and important information, why not to catch them all and use it the best that you can?. That's why I prefer self-learning.

10. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    • You need to find some partners to be doing what you are doing, luckily nowadays hundreds of online forums and websites can help you make this happen. Choosing a technology or a programming language can always become a tricky thing, but you can always turn to the one that has a bigger community and beginner friendly.
    • Repeat: Once you get a hang of how you learned one part, then you can go back and repeat that same process on the other parts of the programming language. Being obsessed with learning something can help find fun, learn basics and build further.

11. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Self learning can be as effective as paid courses, however, in order to be a master, you need to have a sharp mind and understand the lessons completely. I am not the one who has sharp brain. I have learned so many things, Photoshop for instance, through self-learning, however, I have been unable to master my skills.I want to attend paid courses.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer self learning as I don't have time or the money for paid courses. When self learning I can go at my own rhythm and paise. There is so much information on the internet we can receive to be able to learn many things ourselves for free. As a matter of fact I have learned to cook through the internet.

13. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have attended paid courses offline, however, I have never taken any paid course online. When I take online courses, I will only choose if it is available for free. Free online courses are self-learning courses, which you can attend according to your convenience. The lessons are designed in such way that you can easily self learn.

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've been working online for as long as I can remember and I have learned a lot of things from HTML to Blogging to E-commerce and SEO without paying for online courses. I learned all of them by self studying and researching and through experience. Although paid online courses are a huge help for everyone as they can give you techniques and tips that you will only know from the experts, doing your own research and self studying can be a great way to learn as well, especially if you don't have the budget yet to pay for online courses :D

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    With today's environment of open source solutions and just the general sharing of information, I would be surprised to see many people choosing to pay for things that they can just as easily get for free with a little effort.