Self-service Restaurants

Discussion in Food & Drink started by to7update • Jan 17, 2017.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently having lunch in a restaurant that is self service, buffet like. I really like it there because it's cheap, I can pick whatever I want to eat, and the food is good. Service is faster as well, so I do wonder why don't we have more of these restaurants?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would also prefer most restaurants to be like that. I like self serving myself as I find it faster and convinient. I don't really like having to wait to be served and like to chose my own food. I guess there are not many restaurants like these because most people like to be served, well that's what I have noticed anyway.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I can think of many places that are like that. Some grocery stores allow you to self serve yourself hot and or cold foods for a specific price. The stores that I know that offer those options though tend to be expensive. Buffets offer those kind of options too, but of course you have to pay a specific price first then you can serve yourself.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most buffet restaurants here are self-service. That is one way of reducing the overhead that results in lower cost of their per head charge. In fact, buffet restaurants are very popular now because the price is just the same as fine dining restaurants. However, for people like me who eat sparingly, it is a waste of money to eat in a buffet restaurant.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Buffet like services are what we look for especially travelling with family or in a large group. They help save a lot and are really filling.

Infact it is worth eating out at such facilities if you have a large apetite. I can do real justice to the service.

At my end there are very limited restaurants/hotels that offer these kinds of services that too occasionally. I think it might be because it is not very profitable for the hotel.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree with you. The point is fast service, good foods, and the price is reasonable enough, but not all customers would take or eat the foods offered. Rather than going to the resto where you could select or get the food what you want to eat. Buffet resto is good only for those who are not too choosy for the good they want to eat.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The biggest disadvantage of buffets is that you have to fall in line. I love those eat all you can buffers though. I usually starve my self for days before going to one. I know I will gain 10 pounds in one day if I go to buffet. I think most people prefer fast foods because they were usually in a go and a buffet will be to messy for them.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I always lunch at these restaurants with my family, my friends or my girlfriend. :)

I love this type of restaurant because we have more freedom in choosing what we want to eat for a much cheaper price (not to mention that the dish gets ready much faster than when ordering ;)).

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the US, KFC has an all you can eat option at all of its restaurants. The usual price is around 8 or 9 dollars for an adult. Anyhow, I think a buffet could be superior cause despite the fact you're paying more, you're getting more food. I think that's a good deal.

However, buffets could have a bad side. For instance, some of them are not well maintained and the food is stale and awful. This sometimes happens at Chinese ones in the US.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I always check the Yelp reviews of a restaurant before trying it so I avoided all those bad buffets. I only visit ones with positive reviews from Yelp because the best critics to trust are the customers who spent their actual cash.

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to see more of the organic food buffet with the self-service theme in the "States" and it would be decorated in a more upscale way than the average buffet. You could have original artwork hanging on the walls as well.

I saw a nice restaurant in France, that had nice stone walls showing in the inside although the ratings were not good. Do you think this kind of organic restaurant would go in America?

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    This is a rare kind of restaurant I haven't seen any self service joint in my location. I would like this kind of arrangement of eating out. Just get the cutlery together and pass from table to table to dish the kind of food and meat you want and the quantity for your fill. This will be a nice eating experience to have with family. After the good meal and drinks then bills are settled. The thrill you have access to the pot to dish and eat as much as you want.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That's right, we have number of such restaurants in our area where they provide food from cooking counters against coupons bought from the main counter according to price of that particular item. One has to collect his food and take it to a tall table where there is no chair. Also you have to pick your dishes and put them in washing area. Such restaurants have very good quality of food at very competitive rates. And you save on tips as bonus :)

14. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    There are many self-service restaurants here, mostly are local food, I suppose. I prefer this kind of self service as I think it will save more cost, and I don't need to wait to be served. Sometimes, it might take longer time just to wait to be served, and the waiters or waitresses might not be really friendly. Hence I don't mind to just pick up the food myself, and pay for it. Save time, save cost, and save the energy. :D

Of course, if I am bringing young kids with me alone, it'd be good if someone is there to serve us. It'd be good to have variety of restaurants around to serve different purposes. :)

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Here at our area I have seen more restaurants like this. Here there are many snack stores where we need to take our order by self. But restaurants, may be rare. About buffet , well they all are quite costly per person. But yes if we can have good food in less price like this then it sounds good idea.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I think the buffet is used in reference to consuming your food without sitting or served by waiters but self-service. We have such centers in abundance like Narula's, Haldirams, McDonald, Cafe Coffee day and so many more besides hundreds of centers which provide regional foods from different states of our country. These are cheaper and lesser time consuming because you can pickup your desired food from counter against payment and eat it.

#16Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Yes that's what I said that we have such thing but just for snack kind of food. Yes it also includes fast food like burgers and pizzas. But I am yet to find restaurants (for full dish) here in my area which is having self service option. About buffet yes it may be used in that reference but once I remember during my travelling at some area we went for one restaurant which was having such buffet option, but price was 500Rs per person (with unlimited food of course). This is bit costly.

#17Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I would always prefer doing things myself and handling my own food than having other people do it for me. I also would rather do everything myself than having to tip someone to do it for me unless I'm in a lazy mood but while I'm out, I'm rarely lazy. I like my portions how I like them, my food served the way I prefer it, and my beverage with a certain amount of ice. I think it costs less because they don't have to pay waiters and such.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight I agree and when we save lots of monies doing so then we should avail this service as much as we can. I don't think it makes any difference even if you're in a lazy mood because sitting and waiting for someone to take your order makes you even lazier. I would rather be picking my own food from the counter and eat it rather than sitting and waiting for a long time while someone comes and serves me (and the tip etc that I save is bonus)

20. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    We too have a restaurant which has this system also. They have a live buffet as well as the live grill, in which they serve the grilled items indefinitely until you drop the flag. They have a fixed rate and that is all that you need to pay. It is very convenient and you don't need to decide on the menu.