Selling Brand New But Pre-owned Perfume

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by DrRipley • Aug 27, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I get perfume as gifts a lot and I've built up a substantial collection, so much so that I have almost 10 brand new ones I've never opened and I'm wondering if I should sell them since I could use some extra cash right now. The problem is that I don't think I can sell them for enough for it to be worth the trouble for me, since I doubt anyone would be willing to pay that much for perfume that didn't come from an official retailer. It also hurts my case that we have a lot of fakes here so I wouldn't really be able to prove that my products are genuine.

Any advice on how to go about this? Anyone here who has sold pre-owned perfume before?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was young there was a woman who used to drop by in our house to sell perfume. It is the brand new perfume that is sealed and purportedly came from the PX (military installation) store that is the trade mark of imported and expensive perfume. My mother would buy once in a while until the time I heard that the perfume was fake. So that's a lesson - cheap perfurme but with the probability of being fake.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    You can sell it to some relatives or friends. Some perfume enthusiasts know the difference between a fake and a real perfume. So maybe if you know someone who is a perfume enthusiast, you can sell it to him or her. The other thing I can think of is to sell it in a website like eBay. This way you can have thay extra cash that you need.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If it has never been opened, do you mean it is still in the wrapping? If so, I don't think you would have any problem selling it on eBay advertised as an unwanted/unneeded gift. You may have to offer a little less than the RRP to give people reason to buy from you rather than in a store, however the fact that you're getting money for something you didn't buy means that you're still in profit, so it should certainly be something that you think about doing.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as it's unopened, you'll be able to sell it on eBay no problem. Check out completed listings for the fragrances to get an idea of how much they generally sell for.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as it's boxed it should be fine to resell. I used to take unwanted fragrance gifts to a store and exchange it for what I liked. You should do it rather than just keep them, because fragrances can go off. Other than that try to sell it to friends, but fragrance is always heavily reduced because they aren't investment products.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could try going old school. Find small stores that sell perfumes and be a salesman. Tell them you have perfume to sell. They'll ask to see the products if they are interested. And if they are obviously you could get a sale faster and better than selling them online because you never know [when selling online] how long you'll wait before you find a buyer.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I too would say spread the word among your friends and family and see if you can get a sale or two. Otherwise eBay is a good place to list them. Maybe instead of the buy it now option, you could let people bid for each. It could prove a lot more viable for you, you may even make far more that the RRP.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is something that would sell well on ebay, or craigslist. People buy things like that especially if it is still in the box. I would think if it was a name brand you should be able to get decent money for it. It is one of the options that you can use to get some extra cash and I think it would work.

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to do that too! I haven't been getting many perfumes as gifts lately, but my family has a habit of giving perfume as girfts in our birthdays and for Christmas, and I am very particular about my perfumes. Sometimes I do enjoy what they give, but most times I find them too sweet or too strong and that gives me a headache most of the time.
    I guess what we could do is sell those on Ebay or a similar website. I would be honest and say I got the perfume as a gift, but it is brand new, unused and still on the packaging. In those cases, I would make sure not to get the sealed plastic off the packaging so the person buying it is sure it wasn't used.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have a yard sale while the weather is good. Set up one table to promote stuff like, "Start Christmas shopping early!" and place your perfumes and any other re-gift type things on that table. Add some pretty paper, bows, little gift bags beside the items to dress it up. Nothing says you can't be a real salesperson in your own backyard. lol. I know people who are good at this kind of stuff and could sell anything at a yard sale.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You could sell them on eBay - believe it or not people will buy them. I had a bunch of half used colognes I was no longer using, and my sister even sold *those* on eBay. Obviously expect to offer steep discounts since you need to make it a bargain for them with the cost of shipping included, but you can still get some money for them. Or perhaps even offer to sell them all in one lot, so you can save on shipping and separate eBay fees.

In terms of counterfeit issues, just be clear in your add that to the best of your knowledge they are real but you cannot guarantee it, then include a lot of closeup pictures, so those who know how to spot fakes can possibly see or not if they are real.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen some people sell used but branded perfumes for a low price, so I think your best bet is to sell them on Ebay for a low price. Maybe half or 75% of rhe original price will do.