Selling Old Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by danielle davidson • Jul 3, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Do you guys like to sell your old clothing that you don't wear anymore? I mean when I think about it's just money that is sitting in your closet. Why wouldn't you want to get rid of them? When I want to go and sell them I will try Plato's closet. I like going there because they basically accept any brand of clothes, and they give you a good price for them. They have to be in good condition though. And a good amount of the clothes in the store are from Hollister, Lucky, and Gap. Which are all pretty good name brands. So, do you guys like selling your old clothing?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. I just give them to my nieces. However, I do like buying pre-loved clothes. I feel happy when I find something good that doesn't cost too much.

3. danielle davidson

Threads:
    That's a smart idea. I don't really have a person that I would be able to give them to. My sister would love them, but I don't think that she would really fit into them. I don't buy pre-owned clothing that often, but I also like getting a deal. I like buying pre-owned jeans because they are so much cheaper that way.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried doing it yet, but I intend to in the future. I have a lot of unused clothes, and most of them are brand new and from the US since they were given by my uncle. Some even have tags on it. I can sell them a bit higher.

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how old. If it's really old and totally unwearable or it's unsightly to wear it, I would just donate it or cut the fabric up to use it as wipes or dish towels or something. If it's something that's still in good condition and I don't wear it anymore for whatever reason, I'll try and re-sell it.

I've never resold my stuff at a consignment store though and because I live in a college town, I can find a lot of college students who want some sort of clothing for a discounted price. It's a win-win situation in my opinion!

6. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven’t resold my clothing; I usually just donate. I don’t think there’s anywhere in my area that would buy most of my stuff, and most of the better-known online options wouldn’t either. Though looking around a little more, I would consider selling batches of pre-loved clothing on eBay, and there are a couple of places for that on Reddit as well. I wouldn’t get much for them, but it’s an option at least. Too bad I don’t currently have any batches to sell since I’ve pared down over the years, haha.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't sold any of my clothing persay, but I do sell accessories, belts, handbags, scarves, etc. I've thought about going to a consignment shop but just haven't yet.

8. cmjblue

cmjblueNew Member

Threads:
    I love to sell my old clothing I don't wear anymore. By selling your old stuff, you help someone else find something great at an affordable price and you earn extra money and free up extra space in your closet.I also think it is a great way to make extra money to buy more clothes or other items.

9. danielle davidson

Threads:
    I know, it's great because you are able to make money for stuff that would otherwise be collecting dust. There are so many places that will also take video games, movies, and books. I have a ton of books so I usually try to sell some of the ones that I know I won't read anymore. The extra space is one of the main reasons why I sell. I mean I love shopping so I love buying clothes all the time. So, I'm always looking for more space in my closet.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For many people selling the clothes they no longer wear isn't easy so they [to get rid of them clothes] donate them to a charity of their choice.

If your clothes still are in great condition then selling them would be a great move. You can use the proceeds to replace the clothes you've sold which means you'd spend only a fraction of the money you set aside for buying clothes. Good savings.

If for some reason you can't sell your old clothes then you should consider swapping. That would be another good way to save money on clothes.

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I sell old clothes to make room for the new. I always make sure there is some quality, and not clothes showing a lot of worn marks. I keep my clothes well, so I am able to offer decent clothes.
    We have open markets and I go there and people usually buy there.

12. danielle davidson

Threads:
    I never thought about swapping clothing! If you know someone who is the same size as you, then that can be great. I know that I have some friends who are the same size as me. I might have to think about that because that is a really good idea. But yes, sometimes it is hard to sell your clothing. I know that I have some clothing I tried to sell not too long ago, and they wouldn't take it. They said that it was the wrong time of year for it. Now, that clothing is just sitting upstairs in my attic.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it is difficult to sell clothing. I see a wide variety of clothing being sold at the flea market I go to and even at what I consider reasonable prices they still do not sell. From that observation I usually prepare them to be donated to charity and I get a deduction on my taxes rather than the money in my pocket.

14. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Swapping is a wonderful thing, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I’ll admit there have been a couple of items I’ve ended up not liking as much as I thought I would, but for the most part I’ve ended up with amazing stuff. My friends and I love knowing our clothes have ended up in loving homes where they’ll be worn more frequently.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really thought to sell my used clothes. I have 3 sisters who love clothes, so when I need to get rid of clothes, I pass them onto them and give the rest to charity. Plato's Closet sounds very interesting, but I'd probably be interested from the stand point of s buyer, not a seller. I just had a quick look, but Alas! I doubt I can buy from there :(

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I always sell the clothes that I'm not going to wear. I do a lot of car boot sales, so will take the clothes there first, and if they don't sell there then I bag them up and take them to a local place that weighs clothes in and then gives you money for them. I always donate the money to charity though, because I don't really need it, but I think the charity get more money than if I just donate straight to their shop, because I think that a lot of it gets thrown away when you do it like that.

17. danielle davidson

Threads:
    I have never heard of a place that will weigh your clothes and then take them. That seems like a good idea to do that since you can make good money from that I'm sure. Charity is always a good place that you can donate because they are always in need. I have donated to charity before, and it always makes you feel good when you can give to others.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Garage sales are common here in our village for selling used items. We conducted a garage sale once that included some shoes and other household items like old radio and tv. But sell my old clothes? I don't have the heart for that, hahahaaa. Maybe I will just let my clothes rot in my wardrobe cabinet. But in fairness to that item, my sister brought some old clothes which were sold during that first garage sale.

19. danielle davidson

Threads:
    Those are a good place that you can get clothing because most of the time it's super cheap. I have been to a few where I have been able to get clothing from Hollister and Abercrombie which is great. It's very rare to find clothing like that because most people sell them for more money. I think that it's smart to sell the clothing that you aren't wearing, but to each his own. Some people just don't like doing that, and I respect that. It's all about what people like doing.

20. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @danielle davidson@danielle davidson in the early 2000s, used clothes store became a craze over here particularly in Baguio City, in the northern part of the country. We even have a name for it... Ukay-Ukay which means cheap used clothing. It became popular when actors and actresses started patronizing those stores and showing the public that it is okay to buy and wear used clothing.

Ukay-ukay is not that popular anymore but they are still thriving in some parts of Metro Manila. They get good sales when Christmas is approaching.