Selling Old Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by danielle davidson • Jul 3, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens Well, that is actually pretty cool. We didn't have any actresses or actors promoting that stuff, I think that people just did it on their own. I had a lot of friends who would go to Plato's Closet which is a used clothing store. They have name brand clothing there, so that is where people would go so that they could save some money. I have sold to them, and I might have bought clothing from them a couple times.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @danielle davidson@danielle davidson the participation of movie stars actually started when they held their own Ukay-ukay right there on a tv program. It was meant to raise funds (I don't remember what charity). They would show the wares and people can call to buy. It was very successful. And to further whet the desire for used clothing, some of the movie stars buy from those used clothing stores wardrobes that they will use in their movie shooting.

3. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I sell clothes on the local yard sale sites on Facebook. I have made a bit of money on clothes that would otherwise just sit in my closet and never get worn. I recently lost a lot of weight and I sold all my bigger clothes to get money to buy smaller ones. It worked out good that way for me. It is always nice to make a few extra dollars.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Never really considered it. Since my wardrobe is a lot of second-hand things (be it from the thrift store, friends and family or other means), I would not feel too comfortable selling this old stuff. If I don't wear something anymore, I ask my mom if she or someone else wants it.

5. danielle davidson

Threads:
    That is actually really smart. I'm surprised that America hasn't thought up of something like that. I'm sure that they would sell a lot of clothing. People here always want to look like the stars. That is pretty cool that they would wear it in the movies. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of that. It seems like a good way to show people that it's okay to buy clothing that's been worn before. I think so many people think it's bad when it's really not. It's okay to buy clothing that someone else has worn, it doesn't make you less of a person.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend not to because all my old clothes are obviously out of style and ones that are still in style and not worn out I tend to still wear until the end of its lifespan. Also, I usually donate clothes every Christmas which I find much easier since I don't have to deal with inquiries but I have been considering it for some of the brand new clothes I've never worn due to them being only gifts to me during holidays and I don't like the style or they don't fit. I am thinking of just selling them in bulk though because I don't think I have the patience to sell them all individually.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    May I add that those used clothing are imported, mostly coming from the US and some from Europe and Australia (not sure of the last country). From a newspaper columnist, it was said that those clothes were actually donations by people abroad intended for those in need (in their countries) and enterprising people shipped them to our country and had entered the business sector.

8. danielle davidson

Threads:
    Yeah, that's true, it's hard to sell clothing once it's out of style. And the way that the world is now, style and what people are wearing is always changing. That's good that you donate them. I have some clothing that I really should donate, it's just sitting upstairs in the attic. Yeah, I mean I could why you would want to sell those, that makes sense.

9. colonelcourn

colonelcournNew Member

Threads:
    In the past, I had always donated a portion of my not so fashionable clothes to Good Will at the end of every summer. However, it always felt like a waste because I had spent hundreds of dollars on clothes without receiving repayment for giving them away. To top it off, most of my clothes sat in our local Good Will for years. Last year, I began selling bundles of old apparel on Ebay, which was probably one of the best ideas I've ever had! By selling them in bundles, you can get rid of less desirable clothing by pairing them with a few fashionable pieces. The great part is that you don't have to worry about selling everything individually. I can sell roughly twenty items (including scarves, belts, and jewelry) for about $50 to $75. So far, I've probably made nearly $400 back by selling old clothes. While I should say that I'm saving that money for something important, I'll be honest, everything I make goes towards new clothes!

10. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @colonelcourn@colonelcourn I have to agree with you, which is why I always try to sell my clothing first. I like to buy my clothing at Hollster and Abercrombie and as you may know, there clothing is expensive. Sometimes I will spend $30 on a top, which is a lot I know, but I don't do that all the time. But I would rather try and sell that top when I don't want it anymore, vs having to just give it away. That is actually a good idea! I might have to try that out, maybe even on Etsy! I have heard that people have basically little shops on there where they are able to sell their clothing or anything else. I might have to look into doing that. Wow that's a lot of money! That's awesome that you are able to make that much money just from selling old clothing.