Selling Used Clothing Online?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by 17emilyhalko • Aug 31, 2016.

1. 17emilyhalko

17emilyhalkoMember

Threads:
    What site do you trust more to sell used clothing online? I don't have very expensive brands; I'm talking about clothes that are from Hot Topic and maybe some from American Eagle, and other bigger names, but I don't have any designer brands. I would also prefer a website that doesn't have any listing fees. I have an eBay, but is it worth listing clothes on there? I feel like it wouldn't be that successful.

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    It is really not worth your time to try and sell your clothes on Ebay unless they are top rated brands. I have tried to sell an assortment of name brand clothes on there and it never works. Your best bet is to do a yard sale or try and consign your clothes at a local shop. I have had success consign ingredients clothes.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would agree with Rosyrain on this. I think years ago, long before eBay revised and hiked their listing fees, it would probably have been worth it. I had a friend who used to sell her used clothes on there and she would make a pretty penny. -and it wasn't fancy clothes either. I only ever sold first hand clothes I picked up in the sales, and made good money too. But once the changes came in, it wasn't worth it even for me, so I stopped.

4. SammyGregory

SammyGregoryMember

Threads:
    I have heard some people say they sell theirs at Plato's Closet? Also, you can always see if there is a Facebook buy/sell/trade group in your area. I know a lot of people shop that way instead of traditional yard sales.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's much harder these days to sell chain store branded items, but it's possible if they are items like dresses that people are looking for as a one off. The profit margin is so low, that it's not worth it so you could try bundling items instead. If there are a lot of clothes you could do a rail in a yard sale or car boot, but people will probably want to pay as little as possible and will be the same as ebay prices if not less.

6. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    You'd be better off with a garage sale or something. If its not expensive, then it will probably not fetch that much money, so then why don't you donate it to charity, get a receipt and save on your taxes- that's a nice way to "earn" money - you know, by saving taxes.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There is this site: Poshmark.com, that will facilitate you selling your used clothing through their site, however, they will deduct a 20% commission fee from all sales made.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have occasionally sold clothes on eBay, and I did make somemoney; but that was several years ago, and before they changed their fee schedule. I have also purchased some clothes from eBay; so I know that they must still be a viable place to sell items.
    Clothing sold at a yard sale just does not usually bring much money, and people expect to only pay a little bit when they buy at a yard sale.
    I think that some of the online yard sales might work well. I have not tried selling there, but have seen clothing and purses advertised to a good price (for the seller), and there is no commission at all for listing on one of the online yard sale groups.

9. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I once listed a windsuit on eBay. My mother first owned it and wore it for many years then gave it to me. I wore it for several years also and it still looked good so I listed it on eBay. I got $15.50 for it. I was amazed. It was a very pretty windsuite but I really did not expect it to sell at all. I know there are other sites to list on but I am getting ready to sell some things on eBay and some of those things are clothes. I have always had great success selling with eBay, no matter what I listed.

10. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I want to get rid of any clothing piece I may not use, I just post some pictures on local Facebook pages where I probably could find somebody to buy them from me, it's kinda tricky, but it actually is one of the best ways around besides any other sales page.

11. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I agree with others that it's only worth posting expensive, name brand items to eBay. Be careful with offering free shipping too. Shipping costs have really increased in the past few years, and if somebody from the opposite coast buys your item you might actually lose money on the sale.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try Olx, they have a site for every country. They never ask for any fees, however it requires you to meet up with the buyer if they want to meet up for the transaction, and you should accept other forms of payment other than Paypal.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen letgo.com commercials on TV all the time, but I never used it nor did any research like a BBB search and see how they are ranked by the Bureau. I too am trying to sell things and I learned a lot - thanks!