Senate passes online sales tax bill

Discussion in Misc & Others started by APluckeyduck • May 7, 2013.

1. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    The US senate voted 69 to 27 in favor of taxing online sales. If this bill makes it through The House, how will it effect how you currently shop online? Would you go to a brick and mortar store, since you have to pay taxes anyway or will it have impact at all on how you shop today?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, it will not impact my online shopping habits. Most of the things that I buy online are fairly difficult to buy locally. Plus, on certain sites, I have been paying sales tax. I think if the company has an office or location in your state, then you are charged sales tax. I do like free shipping. Charging for shipping is something that would make me consider buying locally if possible.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with Parker. If I do buy something online, it is usually because I cannot find it locally. I also have to agree with the shipping charges being a big factor on where I buy the item from. I get the feeling that this bill will become law in a matter of time. I think the impact will be mostly felt by individuals and small online companies. We may see fewer and fewer of them in the future.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's a good thing because it's not fair that online merchants are exempt from taxes when ordinary people and other businesses have to pay them. However, though, it is true that a lack of taxes means more savings. Nonetheless, in this case, I think justice comes before savings.

Merchants sometimes pay the taxes or shipping as a promotional.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I'll still shop online even if they start taxing it. It was great while it lasted though. I guess when shopping for better prices just got to find great sales and watch for coupons here at dontpayfull to use so we can save more money! Shopping for things is fun anyway.