Senior moments or brain farts???

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by sandooch • Aug 15, 2012.

1. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Call it what you will, but I hate how my brain is not working as quickly as it used to? I'm sure a lot of it is age and hormone related since I'm in perimenopause. But I find more and more typos in my posts, I'm stumbling over words when speaking to someone, forgetting names of people I've known forever, repeating things I've just said, losing concentration quicker and just plain losing my train of thought almost as quickly as I remember something. UGH!!!

I saw this start to happen to my mom about 20 years or so ago, as well as her siters, and it's scary to know it's now happening to me and my sister, who is 3 years younger than me. :eek:

Can anyone honestly tell me if this has happened to you and you've found a way to reverse, or at the very least slow down, the process? I feel at just shy of turning 50, my brain should not be this foggy. What can I do to naturally regain some brain cells? :p

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I am glad that I'm not the only one! :) Because of feeling like that I feel I find that I start doubting my capabilities as a normal functioning person, which in turn affects my self confidence level. I haven't really found a solution to the problem, except maybe resorting to taking a hormone replacement medication which I am not eager to do. I found that playing computer games, especially those that encourages you to think fast or doing something that stimulates mental activity helps a bit. Even if it just proves that I still have a few working brain cells left.

3. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    LOL It happens to me too!! I like to blame it on the meds though, that way it's like I have no part in the brain farts :) I have been known to ask the same question of people over and over...

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    My grandmother was so acutely aware of what was going on around her and was mentally fitter than my mom and aunts combined. Everyone wanted to know her secret...as she was excellent even after she turned 90. She said that one needs to exercise, she did a few tai chi exercises daily, drank a lot water and ate no junk.

She also supplemented with linseed omega 3...and magnesium, nothing else really. The fats are important for the brain apparently...go well.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    You can do a lot of things to help improve your brain function and even gain a better IQ than you have. Crosswords, playing chess, article writing that requires you to research on a subject, jigsaw puzzles, reading books, going back to college and learning something new. Eating healthy foods like oily fish, more fruit and veg, etc. Keep challenging yourself with things that forces you to think and learn new things.

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've heard that about keeping your brain challenged with crossword puzzles and such. I'm not sure I beleive that to be true, though. At least for my dad it isn't so. He is almost 81 and has been doing crossword puzzles daily, 2-4 hours a day (it's his passion really) for more than 50 years. Along with this, he eats very well and takes lots of supplements like fish oil. My mom as well, aside from doing the crossword puzzles that is, but she is an avid exerciser. Maybe it is just a genetic issue. :(

7. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I feel this way, too, Jennifer. Especially with the fact that I will soon be back in the workforce as soon as my youngest daughter gets her license and practices driving her car a few more months to where I feel that she will be able to drive herself to college. Then I'll have no excuse to stay home any more. LOL Seriously, though, I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with the younger crowd when/if I do get a job. I get a bit anxious when I think about it. And, like you, I don't want to get on hormones. My mom and her sisters never did and didn't have any major issues with menopause. So far, for me, I'll get some mild hot flashes but I don't get drenched like a lot of menopausal women do. If I can avoid hormones, I will.

8. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    doing puzzles and low impact exercise are good for the mind. Stay away from artificial sweeteners and additives. Good intake of healthy fats. Theres no way to know exactly why, you may just be overtired or stressed.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder if it is hormones. I get the same way and I am younger then you are. My mind used to be quite sharp and now it seems to be a bit crazy when my Mom remembers things much better then I do! Granted my Mom has an excellent memory, you would think that I should at least have close to the same.

My hormones have been a little weird tho for a couple years so if you are in perimenopause, hopefully that has something to do with it. Think positive or try to :) I just go with it anymore and don't let it bother me. I find the more I stress out about my memory problems, the worse it can be. It does get a bit frustrating tho when I have these things I want to do with my blog and I forget before I can write it down!! Some vitamins are supposed to help with memory, but I haven't tried this route yet.

10. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    It is a normal part of aging. Keeping your brain stimulated by doing puzzles and such helps. In the morning before you get out of bed, try holding your head over the side of the bed so the blood goes to your brain, do not fall on the floor. Do this as many times in the morning as you can, it will stimulate your brain cells and your memory will benefit. Also Folic acid is supposed to help your memory. Stay involved. That helps. We all are going through time changes. Keep a positive attitude. Cheers.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I also find myself forgetting a lot and I didn't know about hanging your head out of the bed would help with that problem. I had better get started right away so I can remember where I am going. I take vitamins and it's not getting any better at the moment but anything I can do to improve my brain is a help. Thanks mountainside for the good information.