Separate Credit Card for online?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Strykstar • Jul 31, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I have two credit cards, one that I use for physical purchases and one that I use only for things I buy online.
    I find it's easier to keep track of my expenses this way, does anyone else do this?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have told myself to do this to keep my purchases seperate. If you are running a small online service you would want to keep items seperated, your expeses and your income.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a good idea because apart from tracking your expenses, should someone try to scam you, you'll be able to locate the fraudulent transaction fast and cancel it. I use a debit card myself. If I'm making any trials of services then it they can't bill automatically because I only load money into the debit card when I intend to pay for something.

4. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    It would probably be a good idea to have two separate credit cards for this purpose. You would run the risk of credit cards theft quite less extensive and in addition, you would be able to track purchases easier. As said if you run a website involving commerce, it may be ideal to get a additional credit card.

5. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Admittedly, I've never really thought about it, but I'd say it's a good idea.
    For myself though, right now I just have credit cards intended for specific purposes based on the rewards or ie: price protection / extended warranty.

Have a gas / groceries card.
    Foreign transaction card (I'm Canadian, so when I shop in the USA).
    Premium travel card for... travel!

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's better to have a prepaid debit card for online purchases because of an experience I had once. Someone once tried to charge $1,900 on my debit card, but because it was a prepaid debit card that only has money on it when I reload it with money, that thief's $1,900 transaction was declined and I was able to cancel the debit card and get a new one.
    If I had used a credit card with a high limit, that person would have gotten away with $1,900 in goods.

7. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. One is for online shenanigans and the other is for my daily purpose, you can include my savings only card to that list so that makes it three. I too am able to easily track my expenses and also easily manage not be confused on which is which and in the even I lost my other cards, I can just use my others.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I use PayPal for my online shopping so I only keep one card. But it's quite easier having two separate accounts for online and physical shopping, it's easier to keep track of your expenses and it's easier to manage your bills that way.