Sephora vs Ulta

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by forextraspecialstuff • May 13, 2014.

1. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Which store do you prefer? I used to LOVE Sephora and would only go to Ulta to pick up basics: nail polish remover, q-tips, cotton balls, and viewed the store as a slightly fancier drugstore. It seems like over the past year Ulta has made a concerted effort to compete with Sephora and it appears their efforts are paying off. Ladies I know who used to strictly shop Sephora are now shopping at Ulta, with competing brands and regular coupons/sales (which do not always have brand exclusions) Ulta appears to be gaining momentum. Additionally, the customer service (and believe me I do not need/expect much) at Sephora has been atrocious lately.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Ulta has its advantages in the sense that you can get both department and drugstores items there, so it's somewhat more convenient to shop there. However I'm a Sephora girl at heart, I don't imagine myself trading it!! Plus, where I currently live we only have Sephora, so that is my choice!

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an Ulta near me, but I have never been in there. I wasn't sure what they sold there, if it was strictly a beauty supply store, or if they carried other merchandise. I was just curious if they carried mens products in there as well, and if so, what their prices were like. But all I could tell from walking by was that it was all womens makeup and stuff - I didn't want to walk in there and get funny looks from everyone.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like Ulta because they have low prices and good sales. Once a friend of mine took advantage of their online coupon codes and got a bunch of free bonus items with her $20 purchase, including a huge beach bag.
    I'm okay with drugstore brands and don't pay a lot for makeup, so I don't need to shop at Sephora.

5. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    Ulta has a bigger selection and usually Sephora is kind of pricey. However, I've been to several Ultas and I've often had bad experiences with staff members. I don't know what it is about Ultas, but the employees are rude, unhelpful and unprofessional. You go in there and they're just standing around talking to each other like you're not even there. Maybe I have bad luck.

6. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I like both of them but prefer Ulta a little more. Mostly for the reasons a few other people have mentioned: they have premium brands as well as "drugstore" brands which let's face it: are sometimes even better! I also like their rewards program and the coupons they send out. Their customer service is top notch. During one shopping trip, I was standing at the counter for all of 2 minutes before I was noticed. It didn't even phase me but the associate was very upset by it and stuffed my bag full of samples! That was an unexpected, pleasant surprise for sure!

I will say that I like Sephora's website a bit more though and tend to have a soft spot for it as it was the first upscale beauty website I ever discovered!

I am sure that I will continue to shop at both depending on what I need, where I'm at, and how much money I have in my pocket.

7. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE Sephora for everything. I like Ulta because they have a salon inside it. That's where I get my hair cut and one day when I can afford it I am getting my hair colored there as well. I also like Ulta because they are always giving away stuff with a perfume purchase. I usually end up getting the free robe at Christmas for a gift; it won't fit me so I give it away. Also I love it when they have OPI on sale buy 2 get one free. My favorite thing at Sephora is the perfume sample boxes where you can get a free full size of whatever sample you liked the best. It is a great way to try out new scents.