Seratonin

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kana_marie • May 13, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I'd like to get some advice if y'all don't mind. I have a chemical imbalance that causes a mood disorder and severe insomnia. My brain isn't producing melatonin or seratonin like it should.i found some really cheap melatonin and ordered it. Seriously, if findin out it won't help with the insomnia I won't be out enough money wasted for me to panic over. I was going to try seratonin , too. And then I saw the price. Has anybody ever had to use seratonin pills? I don't want to spend 65$ on these pills if they aren't going to be effective

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seratonin pills? That sounds a little odd to me, seratonin is a neurotransmitter which is produced by the brain and anti-depressants generally help to increase the amount of this. I'm wondering what on earth thise pills are. Are they herbal at all?

3. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThaneMember

Threads:
    I would consult a doctor. Medications prescribed by a doctor train your brain to produce the right levels of Seratonin, so you can eventually stop taking the medication. It is a very delicate balance that may take a lot of trial and error in either case.

4. Grimp

GrimpNew Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a potentially bad idea man, i heard theres certain foods that can be good for keeping your serotonin levels up, the only two i know of are Marmite and bananas, but I would be very careful if you're going to try chemical ways of increasing your serotonin as you could end up getting serotonin syndrome or somthing bad!

5. HunkyDoire

HunkyDoireMember

Threads:
    Well, although going to a doctor could help, some of the anti depressants and mood stabilizers out there really cause more harm than good. Before I went to a doctor, I would seriously try herbal remedies or OTC options first. Yes, melatonin definitely helps sleep (in fact, as I type this, I am vaping a delicious melatonin blend out of my vape mod! and yes, it does help me sleep!) There is also chamomile, skullcap, valerian root (tastes yucky, but effective) passionflower (one of my faves), and many others that I can't recall at the moment. Sleepytime Tea and Sleepytime Tea Extra is great (I would brew a triple cup of the sleepytime extra, and it always would help!) Also, keeping your bedroom cooler, turning the lights off, reading, keeping the TV off or set to a sleep schedule helps... if you are in the mood for experimentation, I would highly recommend trying something called binaural beats...they have apps on smartphones and you can also listen to youtube videos and other free web sources...they are basically tones that sound different on each side (you have to listen with earphones or ear buds)... and when they 'meet' in the middle of your brain, they help you sleep or relax. (There are also beats that can help energize you, help you focus, and many others...it is something that has been studied and verified and online there is a wealth of information out there...)

As someone who was over medicated on many different mood meds when I was a kid, I strongly encourage you to try everything and anything before going to the doc, unless you are really experiencing severe depression or are having thoughts ever of hurting yourself or others. There are lots of organic and healthier ways to get a better nights sleep and have less anxiety, without a list of side effects a mile long. Good luck!!!

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried Serotonin herbal supplements and they did work. I had severe insomnia over 5 years and I stuck to herbal supplements, which would work for a while and then stop. so I found a few to alternate including Somminex and Valerian. I would personally never order anything I ingest over the internet, it's just not safe because some of those online stores sell you fake supplements beefed up with poisonous materials. I bought all of mine from a reputable nature store, after having consulted with an in store expert.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Strange that I am seeing more and more of Serotonin this week. But that's the reason why I've been doing some research and though I didn't come across Serotonin pills, I read about supplements.

5-HTP pills for example increase the synthesis of serotonin but using them can have some really bad side effects.

But I also found something which I believe you might find interesting:

Elevated levels of serotonin in the body often result in the relief of depression . . . anti-depressant drugs such as Paxil and Zoloft, attempt to enhance levels of serotonin by working on whatever amounts of it already exist in the body . . . None of these drugs, however, produce serotonin.

According to the writer of the article the right diet works far much better than using any of these drugs which supposedly boost serotonin levels in the body.

If our diet lacks sufficient protein and vitamins, we run a greater risk of serotonin deficiency.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It' funny you should bring this up, @Denis Hard@Denis Hard. At its worst, my insomnia meant that I was surviving on 2-3 hours' sleep. I was trying all sorts of herbal supplements, and 5-HTP was just one! Thanks for the detailed and very informative post :)

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most supplements, natural or manufactured, are best avoided as they've been shown repeatedly to not make much of a difference to the average person's health. With such a specific issue, I'd say that consulting a doctor is the best idea. Perhaps a nutritionist, specifically, could help you out with a diet change (to better manage seratonin levels) rather than prescribing a medication.