Sewing Bed Quilts

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Rosyrain • Mar 12, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I learned how to make quilts a couple of years ago out of necessity I was in the market for a new quilt for my bed and traveled to many stores looking for one. The problem was that either they were either really cheaply made and would not last, or I did not like the designs. For this reason, I need up making one and it turned out very nice, I even saved some money DIYing it. Does anyone else make their own bed linens?

2. muddypoultry

muddypoultryNew Member

Threads:
    My girlfriend is considering picking this up as a hobby. While I have no other information to share with OP, I am interested in any tips for beginners posters on this thread might have.

3. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have begun to make one, but I am handsewing and it is taking so long. I like how it is coming together creatively though. I should maybe just go ahead and use a sewing machine, but I just think it is more authentic to do it by hand. Do you use a machine?

4. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have done quilts in the past and did the top stitching by hand. Usually these are winter projects that I like to do in front of the television or just to unwind. I think they are nice and very personable. I always hoped that one day my kids would say something to their kids like I remember when gram made this for me.

Of late I have been doing knitting, since I have no idea how to use needles I got a loom and use that. It is really a great way to make many different things. I have a large blanket I have been working on and I have made several pairs of socks. It is one of the few things that is useful and inexpensive to use as far as hand crafts go- I find discounted yarns often so it helps. The yarns these days are just wonderful and plentiful. In comparison you can't buy a nice knit blanket as cheap as you can make it. You can knock out things like socks and scarves in no time.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I completely hand sewed mine too and it took forever to make. I struggle with a sewing machine and I am still learning the is and outs of using it, so it is much easier to sew by hand. The nice part about hand sewing is that is something I can do while sitting on the couch watching TV at night, the perfect way to relax in the evening. I kind of like the look of my hand sewn quilt because there are natural flaws that give it character.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A very long time ago, I sewed a quilt by hand. It was a very long job, it was nice to have an activity I could do while watching tv, as I do not knit. I am in the process of repairing a quilt my grandson got as a baby but this I will do on a machine, I don't have time to sit and sew it by hand.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I learned to quilt as a child. I've made several quilts, a couple for myself and some for others. I enjoy the process quite a bit. It's pretty time consuming thiugh and I don't have the nice quilting stuff most people have.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have aquired a few quilting tools in the last couple of years,, but there are so many things I still need to get that would make my life a little easier. I think I like the idea of hand sewing quilts because it does take so long to do and therefore I am not spending a ton of money on different projects. I do not have to plan out any more projects because I know I will be working on the current one for quite a while.

9. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:

Oh my gosh, being able to go to the fabric store and having such a wide selection of colors, prints, and design is so much better then trying to select from the limited options at the stores. I have not fully made a quilt yet. I have been working on one for about 7 years now. I am making one from the snowflake fabric we used at our wedding for table clothes. It should have been made by now but other things get it the way all the time. But yes, making your own anything is usually better in regard to price, selection, and personal pride too.