Sewing Or Repairing Your Clothes

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by GreenPersimmon • Sep 27, 2016.

1. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    Do you sew or repair your clothes when they start getting holes or rips? Or do you toss them in the trashcan? At what point do you decide the that the clothes aren't worth the effort and throw it away?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never. I repair my clothes when they have a tear or something like buttons, hems or zippers need to be replaced. If it becomes too small I enlarge it if I can by adding material to it or cut it up to use as a rag. Or pass it on if it is to small and still useful. I believe in use it until it is all gone. People trash good stuff to quickly.

3. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    No i mostly give my clothes in charity those i don't use but if i saw they need to repair i do it myself. I tired that what ever i donate in charity must be in good from so it could make them happy who ever will use. Mostly i use to through in trash if i feel that this is not in a condition to be repaired.

4. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    After reading the questions I did think about it, and I don’t remember myself sewing any of my clothes recently. I just tent to discard it if it develops any such thing. I tend to discard my clothes either when it developed holes or rips or the color fades.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If it's just one or 2 small holes then I sew it. Sometimes sewing isn't enough and it still tears but the tiny holes you make with the needle become larger if they are stretched if the cloth is a certain material. If it's huge holes then I just throw it away.

6. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I usually toss them away unless it's a uniform that is a bit costly. I used to have a bad habit of splitting the crotch of my pants but it hasn't seemed to happen in years so I'm good in that case. Also, I don't really wear clothes like that anymore so I don't usually get rips and tears again.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No way, my clothes generally do not need repairing but when I see signs of wear and tear I generally donate them to needy people/charitable organizations. As far sewing my clothes, I have never done that either. I do not have time or expertise to do that.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I always wear/use my clothes up to their last ounce of usefulness. I can do some minor repairs if one is needed but depending on the value of the dress, I would normally not pay for repair works and I'll simply re-purpose the dress. When they're no longer good to wear, I turn them into rags that can be used to clean the house or dust off.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If the clothes are still new as in not long I got them I can't just thrash them if they develop holes or rips. I will definitely take them to the tailor for a mend. On the other hand if I have used the clothes for a pretty long time especially on formal outings I wouldn't bother going to mend, I may end up thrashing them

10. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to be very selective, some call it being choosy, when it comes to clothes. I take alot of time choosing a clothing and when I do I wear it, repair it when it gets torn or simply sew it. I only discard my clothes if they don't fit me anymore. If they don't fit me I give them to charity.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I generally repair as much as I can. When it is beyond repair I either guve away to one who might find it useful or make a rag out of it.

12. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I'll repair buttons or small tears and hems. Once the clothing is no good to wear outside the house, a ripped collar or whatever, I'll put them aside for gardening and dirty jobs, and when it is no good for that, I either cut it up for cleaning rags or put it in textiles recycling. I have donated a few clothes to the local charity shop which no longer fitted but were in very good condition since cutting up decent clothes seems like a waste.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If the holes or tair are small enough to fix up I like to sew it up if not then I use the clothing as rags to clean the floor. If something simply no longer fits I give it away to someone that can use it.