Shall I Buy A Spare Battery?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Casiox • Aug 16, 2016.

1. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the title says it all, I know I am not the only one who has thought about buying an extra battery for the phone, it's a really annoying thing when you're traveling or you're out of your house and you forget to take your charger, having a spare battery may not be a bad idea at all, what do you guys think about it?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, why not if you can afford it, right? The batteries for my phones only cost $7, so it's quite cheap and will last for around 2 years or so. You can also buy a universal battery to take with you instead of your charger so that you can charge your batteries.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was going to suggest a power bank but as it's bulkier and offers nothing more than what you'd get from a spare battery, I'd suggest that you buy a spare battery if your phone's battery doesn't last the day. What I prefer though is having a dumb phone with me at all times since the batteries can be charged only once or so a week depending on how often the phone is used.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I had my first Samsung smart phone, I had difficulty in charging so I always bring along the charger to the office. But sometimes I forget the charger so I am stuck with my lowbatt phone. I was advised to buy an extra battery so in case I get lowbatt then I have a spare. I was contemplating on that because the phone battery is not cheap. What do you know, one computer vendor gifted me with a power bank - that portable charger. I am now free from that worry of getting my phone lowbatt.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a good idea to have back-up. Whether it be a spare battery or a charger. For me a charger will suffice and I have needed it a couple of times recently. I have been trying to remember to take it with me but usually forget. But the phone can be used while charging, so a charger would completely take care of my needs.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this is a really good idea. When I had my old phone, the battery was continuously a problem, and it stopped working when I needed it the most, and I had yet to order a back-up. I headed over to ebay and got one for a good price over there.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have the one now, mainly because I'm usually home and can charge the phone whenever needed. But in the past, I did have a back up battery for my smart phone. The phone burned through battery charges quickly, so it was quite handy to do so, and the battery wasn't that expensive. I had a charging dock where i could keep the extra battery charging, and then I'd just grab it and take it with me if I was going somewhere for an extended period of time.

8. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I was considering the idea of buying one of those power banks, it may be really useful but I think it would be better to carry a spare battery plus the power bank just for extreme cases, that probably can work for travels or when you're in places where you can not connect your charger whatsoever.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This is something that I have gone back and forth on as well, and I ended up getting one. I have been there too many times when I needed one, and it ended up taking a while to get one so I might as well just have one on hand. It is kind of like giving up though, and admitting that it will break, but what else can you do. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

10. gwood

gwoodNew Member

Threads:
    I would rather buy a good power bank than buying a spare battery for my device. The main advantage I am thinking of is that I can use the powerbank to charge multiple devices while a spare battery will be useful only for that single device. Just make sure it is one of the good ones have a good capacity (mAh).

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are like my husband. When we go on trips to the province, he carries with him a power bank aside from the charger and yes, the extra battery for his phone. He always complains that his phone is easily drained of power such that a continuous use of 2 hours would make it lowbatt. Especially when we go abroad and so much time is spent in the airport in waiting for the flight, he sometimes consumes the charge of his power bank that he would soon be looking for an electrical socket.

PS. In the near future, phone and camera batteries will have a longer life as per the article in the computer magazine that I had read some weeks ago.

12. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's probably because we're the kind of people who use their phone a lot and therefore, our phone's battery tend to run out of charges really quick, that's a good idea because you could actually use the bank for any phone just in case you're not going alone and you can also use the spare battery for your own phone, it's a wise move though.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    This thread perfectly illustrates the dilemma I am in. I am always on the internet using my phone and battery life is very crucial. I had 3 batteries but two of them have already gotten lost and I am back to square one. I suppose that a powerbank to charge your phone is the best alternative no matter the cost. They are in any case, reasonably priced.

14. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you actually went really far when buying three batteries for your phone, however, I will definitely consider the idea of purchasing one of those power banks, seems like everybody is using one of these nowadays, I have to update my own stuff :D

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Spare batteries can be useful, but a power bank is more versatile. Why do I say this? Basically as most people do change phones after a couple of years and the batteries are not always the same or compatible. My brother used to work with cellphones and gave me spares, but then when I changed phones they were useless.

16. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Buy a large battery phone with more than 3000mAh or more and a suitable charger for it. You may not need another one with such a sizable battery's capacity.

17. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really think I will be able to find one of those "large batteries" you're saying, my phone uses a default kind of battery and I could not just change it like that, however, I do not think the charger has anything to do here, it is all about the battery itself, the charger is fine.

18. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Yes and you can also get a good deal. It's always worth it in the long run for the extra few hours of energy. I've never needed one due to only using it for calls but if you use it for a lot more than 3 hours or however long a battery lasts, then it's a great idea to spend some extra money on another battery.

19. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you.

I would also go for a power bank for that purpose. If I forget to take my charger possibly I may also forget to carry the second battery. Moreover, in the case of a charger it may not be possible to charge the phone wherever you go. But with a power bank we can charge it on the go which is really convenient.

Moreover, if we keep the second battery idle after using for a limited time it may drastically reduce the lifetime of the battery. So I would certainly go for a power bank which seems more practical and economical to me. As you already mentioned we can use our power bank for charging other phones too.

20. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also considering in buying a spare battery for my smartphone. Cellphone batteries these days comes with a dock so you can charge it from there which is a real convenience because you can just remove your phone's battery and replace it with a fully charged one once it run empty. This is ideal for busy people especially for outdoor people :)