Shall I Buy My Dog Some Toys Or Shall I Just Make Them Myself?

Discussion in Pets started by FenWoFon • Apr 8, 2016.

1. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    When it comes to buy stuff for my dog I am very strict about what I should and what I should not buy or spend money on, in this case I was thinking about and if it should be good if I make my dog's toys by myself using used stuff that I might find in my house, such as old ties, balls and stuff like that instead of buying new and special toys, what are your thoughts?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    If you've got things that could make good dog toys already then you can use those and save yourself a bit of money. In my opinion they don't really need shop bought toys, although mine have some because friends and family have bought them for them.

For example, making holes in an old water bottle and filling it with some biscuits can keep a dog entertained for a while. I've also seen others where they have to make the bottle swing upside down to get the biscuits out!

My dogs love socks put inside each other. One in particular loves to try to get each sock out from inside the others. You can also tie them together for tug toys.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think both options could be good but if it were me I would be a bit worried allowing my dog to get used to messing up old clothes like ties or shoes because it might get used to it and start inking of the newer items as just toys as well. I think if it were me I'd much rather just purchase an actual toy because that way they can have something totally speared form everything else in the house which is all theirs, and something like a fake bone is not that expensive anyway and could last the whole lifetime of the dog if you buy something good quality so it's well worth the money.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's advisable to make toys because you save the money you would have spent buying the toys since you'll be using things you don't need anymore to make them toys. And good thing about toys for dogs is it's easy to learn how to make the toys. If you don't know how it's done just use Google and you'll get all the information you need to save you a little money.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If you feel that you could make good dog toys for your pet, then is certainly something that you could consider. However, you should be aware that it is difficult to make dog toys that are completely safe if you're not a professional, and this is something that you would need to consider carefully. However, if you're sure that you can do it and you know that you would save money from doing so, then I don't see why you shouldn't give it a go!

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I love my dogs and I'm willing to spend for them. However, I am choosy when it comes to toys. I always prefer the soft ones that they can chew. Right now their toy is the big rope that they can bite and pull with each other although they seldom play with each other. Sometimes I give them old stuff toys but I make sure it was laundered clean because surely they would bite on it. There are other things that can serve as toys for dogs like the throwpillow which they love to play with.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If your dog is already enjoying playing homemade toys, then I don't think you should even buy toys for them. But if they ignore those, then you can buy a Nylabone toy for your dog, they're quite cheap at $10 or less.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    If you could make some really good toys for your dogs then you should go for it, that way you can save some cash, dogs wouldn't know the difference anyway. As long as your homemade toys are safe for them to play with, then i don't see any problem with it.

9. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Make them! Not as much for saving but because it's more sentimental. When my husky was growing up, she would absolutely destroy store bought toys because she was so playful. Tired of this, i made her a crochet dog bone. I had never seen her pick up a toy so carefully before! She would even sleep with it. I had made it and so because it smelled like my hands so much she took really good care of it. It was adorable.

10. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I have read in lots of forums about making dog toys for my precious Beagle Petey. However, I just read about the dangers of doing so and it really got me concerned after I read some of the horror stories about choking and digestive problems. Honestly, most dog toys aren't much and the ones that are pricey are made to last and usually worth the money. Petey chews like there's no tomorrow and easily destroys cheap toys. Like our previous dogs, we investing in buying him a Kong. It is a rubber toy that is really sturdy and the only thing that he hasn't ripped completely apart. Someone mentioned the water bottle thing as a toy and Petey has not-so-accidentially gotten ahold of a few but besides the bottle caps themselves, a peice of plastic can be bitten off and cut the inside of their mouths and throats. Petey is like part of the family and I just won't take the risk to save a few dollars.

11. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    It's funny, our dog has a lot of toys and sometimes I wonder if he enjoys the store bought or homemade stuff better. Homemade is a stretch though because some of his favorite toys are an ice cube and the top of an old water bottle that we were going to toss. It's hard to say what your pet will connect with. If you do want to make pet toys, just google it as there are hundreds of ideas. Could be a fun weekend activity.

12. acheno84

acheno84Member

Threads:
    Making dog toys is so much fun. I am actually learning how to crochet, and found a pattern recently to make a dog bone shaped toy. I think I'll try that soon. My dog usually rips the squeaker out of his toys that we buy at the store, not to mention, he destroys them in a matter of minutes so we usually just hit up the thrift store and get a 25 cent stuffed animal. I keep the stuffing, wash it, and then reuse it for dog and cat toys. Beats spending tons of money on something that will be shredded.

13. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I've made a ton of toys for my cats instead of buying, I think you'd have a lot of fun making dog toys too! Don't forget rope and socks - a lot of animals love these and making a toy of them is a great way to reuse old ones. I make lots of toys for my cats just by adding something that makes noise like a bell or some crinkly paper and some catnip and sewing it into an old sock or scrap of fabric. They love it!

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I say make it yourself! Dog toys can get so pricey and your dog is just going to destroy it. The cheapest way to buy is to go to a second hand store and buy your dog a stuffed animal. Wash it before hand and give it to your dog. The second method would be to get an old t-shirt and braid it and use it as a tug o war toy.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do usually by my dog toys, just because I am lazy, but he does also like to play with stuff laying around the house. He often starts playing with Strausse that drop down from cups, socks, chopsticks stuff like that.
    You can find it do it yourself toys all around the Internet if you're crafty.

16. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Depending on what kind of toy, you can just make them yourself if you can put time and patience. I've made one when my dog was still a puppy. I've braided scraps of fabric and yarn to make something she can gnaw on. I've seen people on YT make up their own challenging toys where dogs will be engage because it has their treats inside and they would need to think of ways to get to the treats.