Shelter Adoption Or Pet Store Purchase?

Discussion in Pets started by deecee • May 4, 2012.

1. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I have always gotten mine as stray or in a shelter. I could not imagine buying an animal with so many running amuck now. I just wish more people would be responsible about their pets and spay and neuter them. We have a real problem here in this country.

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Pet shops are known for purchasing thier overpriced puppies from puppy mills. Please don't buy your puppies here. If you want a purebred puppy, look for a reputable breeder of that breed. One who has done all the required health testing needed and paperwork to prove you are getting a quality, purebred puppy.

That being said, I did not know about pet stores buying from those terrible puppy mills when I was younger and bought a couple puppies from them. Now, I only buy puppies that are from the humane society or given to me.

3. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I am looking into adopting a pet very soon! I can't seem to make up my mind however... though I am very excited about the prospect. We will probably get it from a pet store as we currently have a discount card for a nearby store. I hope that it is a good purchase! My younger brother and sister are eagerly looking forward to it!

4. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely choose to adopt first. You save a life that way. I remember volunteering at an animal shelter for puppies and kittens and it was so heartwrenching to see these cute animals begging for love and attention all the while you know all of them won't get to go home to a loving family. I'm a cat owner and got my kitty off the street. She's 11 years old now and such a blessing. She's the sweetest mild mannered cheerful cat I've known. Love her!

5. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    I got my puppy from a friend who found him on the street. I'm so happy we took him in. But we were lucky - he was really, really young when we got him, so any traumatic experience that may have happened to him, he will not likely remember. While it's a truly lovely sentiment to get a dog from a shelter, you don't know what kind of traumas they've had in their past, and these kind of experiences can scar them for the rest of their lives. This means that you never know when your dog could suddenly snap, even if he or she is the loveliest of animals 99% of the time. And that "snap" could be biting a small child, which would mean you'd probably have to get him or her put down.

6. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    Our pets have always come from breeders. From dogs to hamsters we have always gotten them from the pet stores or a breeder. I agree it seems more ethical to get them from a rescue shelter but we just never did.

7. omgomgomg

omgomgomgNew Member

Threads:
    I would recommend adopting from a local shelter. There are usually more than one in any mid to big size city so you can still look around to find they exact friend that you want and you are doing all animals a huge favor by saving their life instead of going to a breeder.

8. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    We got most of our fur kiddos from a Breeder that is AKC Certified, health tested parents, and is reputable and not a backyard breeder. We have rescued one of our mastiffs from a rescue in GA. And Adopted one other of our dogs from a shelter, that is now my husband's serve dog. We do not buy our pets from a pet shop at all, because there bad things that can come from pet shops.

9. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I got mine from a breeder. We wanted a toy poodle and we never were able to find one at an animal shelter. At the time, I would have much rather gotten him from the shelter for no other reason than the cost. I think people want puppies that they can get to know as the dog grows. Most of the dogs at shelters are already adults. Half the time, the caretakers don't know the dog's personality that well. I am not saying it's better to buy a dog over adopting one from a shelter. I hope all of them find homes. We just wanted a specific breed that was rarely found at the shelter.

10. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the pet store pets come from mills and have issues. At least at the shelter they are taken care of and get full disclosure. I got both my cats from shelters and the dogs we got for free from someone that used to go to the pet store my wife worked at. They were nice people and wanted to make sure she would be taken care of.

11. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I would rather adopt than to buy from a pet store because dogs in shelters especially the high kill shelters are in need of homes quicker than ones in the pet store, I've never been to an animal shelter because I do not own a dog or cat at this moment, but when I do plan on getting one, I would feel comfort knowing I saved a dog and I get to raise it as my own in a happy setting, I love animals and the way some are treated is disgraceful and they all have different stories of why they are in shelters.

12. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    All my cats have been strays though I'm not opposed to going to a shelter. We've had purebred dogs in the past but we always dealt directly with breeders. The only pet I've ever had through a pet store were fish.

13. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Dont' shop, adopt! First of all you will get your animal for so much cheaper and they will already be fully vetted. BUT, more importantly, most dogs at a pet store come from puppy mills. puppy mills are HORRIBLE places that abuse dogs and keep dogs in deplorable conditions just to make money for themselves.

14. amyfromky

amyfromkyNew Member

Threads:
    We have a dog from a pet store and one we adopted. I generally would never buy a dog from a pet store, but this poor puppy we in a cage for a month. All of her litter mates had been purchased, but she was just so hyper that no one wanted her. The poor thing had no hair where she had to lay in her wire cage all day. I really did not know what to do. I mean, I saw this dog who was suffering and needed a home, but I also didn't want to support a puppy mill. I opted up getting her (obviously) and I truly think she would've ended up at a shelter if an average family would have adopted her. She is so hyper, despite adequate exercise and she is very animal aggressive (other than our other dog and my parent's dogs). Maybe I'm just trying to justify buying her, but I really do feel like I did the right thing. Luckily, the pet shop I purchased her from went out of business about 2 months later.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All my past cats were strays I took in, but I agree that adopting pets from a shelter is the best way to get a new pet. At my local Humane Society, it only costs $30 to adopt a cat that has all its immunizations and is spayed/neutered. Plus for an additional $25, you can get low cost microchipping from the Humane Society in case your new family member gets lost.

16. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Growing up, my family had a few pets and used both breeders and the shelter. My dog now is from a breeder. I found a listing in the newspaper and went to buy him. I have gone to the shelter as I would like to use them, but they seem to mainly have big dogs. I have a toy poodle and wanted this type exclusively for personality type, no shedding, and a small/low maintenance dog.

17. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I would definitely go for the adoption route. I have heard pet stores should be avoided because they buy from puppy/kitten mills. These places treat animals with cruelty, give them little space and bread the females to death. It is horrendous. Therefore, any animal I get is an adopted one.

18. AutumnFaith2012

AutumnFaith2012Member

Threads:
    Most of my family went to the local animal shelter in search of their newest four legged family member! The dogs from the shelters are usually up to date on their shots and come with prior vet visits at no cost to the new owners, which is huge. My cousin went two states over to bring her Basset home! I, however, ended up getting my little boy from a pet store, which I felt was like rescuing him from a life of cages and ill treatment as well. I didn't plan on buying a dog or even getting a dog much less getting a dog from a pet store. I ended up going along with my brother and his wife. They like to stop by the store to see the latest puppies and play with them. I didn't realize the stores let you play with the pets (especially when you don't by them). Long story short, I played with a puppy and couldn't put him back! I wanted him to have a chance just like any other pet and before I knew it I was a brand new dog owner! I wouldn't trade him for the world, but I will most likely get another dog from a rescue.

19. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I bought mine at a local pet shop. The thing is that there is no animal shelter close from where I live. If there are any then I think adopting a pet specifically a dog will be a good idea. Not just you get yourself a pet and a friend, you also help the entire pet community of saving one who is homeless.

20. Jacek

JacekNew Member

Threads:
    I wouldn’t want to go to a pet store for a dog as they are not always from the best of homes. Most are from puppy mills which I don’t support. I have always gone to a breeder for my dogs over a shelter because I was after a livestock guardian dog. These dogs are very large with specific traits, a hard breed to find in a shelter. If I was looking for a companion dog a shelter would be an option for me. My cats have all come from the local shelter. I was happy to support the shelter and all the good work it does for the homeless pets. The only pets I have purchased from a pet store are hamsters and fish.