Shipping Fee Is Higher Than The Item Itself.

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Jasmin Cottontail • Dec 11, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Was there a time when you really want to buy something and you have no choice but to get it online (since there isn't one available at your local store)? So you've searched for that item and luckily you found one, and yes they ship in your area. However, you checked the item's price and you're okay with it (say the item's price is $150 USD), now you're gonna buy it but when you check out, the shipping costs more than the item's price (say shipping fee costs $200 above), would you still consider in purchasing it? Do you think it's even worth it?

2. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I know the feel. This has prevented me from buying certain items online. However, if it is really needed then I have to just suck it up and buy it since it only means that it would cost more locally anyway.

3. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    A standout amongst the most imperative, yet normally unanswered inquiries among buyers is the topic of why delivering now and then costs more than the real item they are obtaining. Shipping costs astonish a ton of customers, abandoning them feeling like they're getting the crude end of an arrangement.

Much the same as some other part of business, organizations consolidate their transportation value technique into their general objective to be beneficial. Delivery can be a wellspring of benefit the length of they don't go over the edge and push clients away by charging excessively. Then again, on the off chance that they don't charge enough to ship, they may remain to lose cash.

Delivery isn't modest. This is something most purchasers don't completely acknowledge, and why numerous online retailers require a base request to meet all requirements for nothing or decreased delivering.

4. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    When I shop online I always shop the items that is available for free shipping or shop the items for a certain amount that will make it eligible for free delivery. If there is a high shipping charge, I will never buy it online.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have nevertheless bought such a costly item since it was what I had been looking for years.

The item that suits me best are the onesi am ready to spend for. More often than not they are not easily available to me so when I do see them I just get them regardless of other factors.

6. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    If you want to save money from shipping, I have two methods you can use.

1. Buy locally- Do not buy products from overseas sellers. Buy products from people from your state or country so you won't be paying lots of cash.

2. If you will buy from a store abroad, buy in bulk of wholesale! If 20 dollars is the shipping fee for a bar of chocolate, Buy a box of chocolates instead.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I always think of shipping cost whenever I want to shop online. I haven't really had the experience of having to pay more for shipping than the actual cost of the item. If I see that the shipping is so high I may just drop the item.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know how you feel for I've come across it and I've come across the complete opposite of it too. I am on the selling side of selling comics. They have exactly what I want in service just send them the comics and they'll evaluate it and send you the money and of course they are BBB A+ rated. They don't accept shipment form Hawaii. I like most will not buy unless shipment is free or very minimal. I like sales and will shop till I find my items as I like them or buy local. Good luck, if it's not life or death, I'd shop around. I've found things I need online and only online too, so I understand what's it is like when you need it.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    What item are you wanting to purchase? I've only seen the most expensive shipping priced at around $25, and mostly from US sellers. I think if I'm purchasing an expensive gadget that I don't want to pass through the customs office then I won't mind paying more for shipping so that my item gets delivered straight to my door. That way I get to avoid paying those "taxes" as well.

10. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    This always happens to me when I'm shopping on either Amazon or either eBay and it is a small item and the delivery price is almost the full price of the item. It just puts me off and I don't buy the item. It's worse for those small items that are to be delivered internationally - those delivery prices are sometimes two or three times the price of the product

11. elitesquatter

elitesquatterNew Member

Threads:
    It happens a lot to me. It's super frustrating when you just want this one tiny thing but the item will take so much time and money to get to your doorstep. High shipping costs are great if you bulk buy to kind of even it out, I guess.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I once bought a cheap garden hose worth 250 pesos and the delivery charge was 99 pesos. The amounts were close huh. But in case the delivery charge is greater than the cost of the product, I might think twice about buying.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the reasons why I don't buy items that must be delivered instead I shop localy and pick up my items. Once I tried ordering some toys for my daughter and get them delivered but the delivery cost was about $100, higher than the prices of the few toys so I opted to shop locally.

14. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work for an online blogging site and once as payment option I chose Amazon Gift vouchers. They paid me in dollars but when I tried to buy something from Amazon.com through these gift vouchers I found that their shipping costs to our country is a lot higher that the actual price of the product itself. That put me off and for buying something worthwhile I need to collect more gift cards.

So shipping charges from abroad is generally high. But luckily Amazon has set up their local stores in our country so the shipping charges are quite economical.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've come across this many times. I try to avoid it, but it's not always possible. I've given into it once or twice, if it's something I really needed or a special gift that I couldn't find anywhere else. I hate the whole idea of it.

I have noticed that if the price looks exceptionally low compared to other sellers, it's usually an indication that the shipping will be higher than the others. The seller is trying to make their item look more attractive by posting a lower price, but then trying to make up for it by overcharging for shipping.

I guess this became quite a problem on some sites, since some now include a percentage of the shipping charges in their posting fees.

16. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    In that scenario, you have to take the shipping fee into consideration. For myself, I would then say the item costs $350 instead of $150. I would consider if it was worth the extra money and perhaps keep looking for a cheaper deal.

17. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I've had the same experience and it's the worst. I wanted a car that was not available online and it was being sold for $7500 and the shipping cost was $9000. However, the car eventually became available locally but at a prize of $20000 which is cheaper than importing the car. Shipping can be really expensive hence the high cost. You should check the size of the product, value and it's importance. If it's worth it then go for it regardless of the high shipping cost.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have just bought a watch for a boy of 6 from Amazon which is INR 90 or $1.25 and paid a little over $1 as shipment charges. The site charges shipment for everything that is less than INR 500 or about $7.25 and it really sucks when they fix the price at INR 499 intentionally.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't purchase anything that the shipping is higher than the actual item. That's just absurd. It's best to shop at online stores where the physical store is near you. That way, the shipping is either free or fairly cheap. Having items shipped from far away can be a big pain too. The items can be damaged and if they don't have a physical store around your area, you can't present yourself and complain. We all know that companies can ignore you with calls or e-mails but they will help you if you file a complaint in person. It's a big waste of money and it's unsafe most of the time.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In some cases you have no choice but to buy online. In my case the watch I bought was for a kid who lives almost 2500 km away from me so that was the only option. If I would have bought something from local market in my city and sent it to him the shipping charges would be still the same and the packing would be another hassle.