Shocked at what is being sold online??

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Nick2011 • Apr 18, 2013.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A few days ago I was looking at vintage clothes on ebay and I was shocked by the condition of some of the items being sold. They were literally old rags and they were selling for considerable sums of money because of their historical significance and all of the vintage details etc. I would never spend money on clothes which look dilapidiated.

2. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:

Some people probably will though. Especially if it's rock star or rock concert stuff. I am sure an old Metallica t-shirt from like the 80's could sell even if it's beat up and worn.

3. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am honestly shocked at the fact that people sell used makeup items. I am someone who is a germofob so when I see a lipstick that has been used at least fifty percent I start to cringe inside. It's just one of those things where you don't know the previous owners hygiene so buying something that they out on their skin is just not something I'm willing to risk my health on.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Like my mom would say, "It takes all types of people to make a world." I have seen some used panties being sold on line, and used socks. And the seller is selling them unwashed:eek:. People pay large amounts of money for this type of stuff. But hey, whatever makes your boat float.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As an eBay art seller, I see a lot of bad art. I agree that some of it does look like it was made by children. It's frustrating that sometimes my items aren't visible in searches because the site is so cluttered up with junk. I've had to start promoting my auctions on social media just to find bidders.
    I remember when all it took to sell something on eBay was listing good items.
    Now you have to advertise to be noticed and stand out from all the junk.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Are you kidding me!? I have never heard of such a thing. I can't believe someone would sell that. There's bacteria and things that have you would have to be concerned about. Yeah, I'm also surprised that ebay would allow that to be sold.

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I worry about what some people sell on eBay these days, but I suppose that they're quite desperate to earn money, and that can mean that they would do anything to get a little extra cash into their pockets! However, what I think is even more disturbing are the people who sell fake goods and pretend that they're the real thing, because that is something that could actually be very dangerous in the long term. For example, I know of a company who sold mobile phone chargers very cheaply, and these turned out to be completely unsafe, and would set on fire in people's homes, therefore causing damage to property and people.

There should be a greater amount of regulation when it comes to what people are actually allowed to sell online, because some people are getting away with doing things that could be incredibly dangerous to those who fall for the scams.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are men who have specific preferences and for them, used socks are the closest that they'll ever get to a woman's feet. The adult section of eBay is the sewer of humanity.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's really disturbing is the women on eBay who say they'll do "anything" and take a photo of it, and the high bid is like $5. If you're going to debase yourself and take humiliating or personal photos to send to the highest bidder, why would you do it for $5? That means someone's self respect is only worth $5.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, and everyone is struggling now unless they got lucky, so it's got to be so over saturated, I can imagine. At least you have plenty of free ways to advertise now though. When I was running my business, I didn't have facebook (it just started getting popular when I was winding down and advertising was not as easy). No pinterest, I had no clue how to use twitter whenever that came out lol. Kijiji is another good one. I would just use the crap out of all of them. Especially Pinterest I'd think. I can't even begin to imagine the number of people seeing a painting with just one pin. You'd get much more exposure through them than the others I'd think. Can you pin from an auction?

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, eBay has Pinterest buttons and you can pin from an auction, but the problem that I run into with Pinterest is that people pin the pictures of the artwork but don't buy anything.
    For some people ,just collecting pictures of art on Pinterest boards is enough and they don't feel any need to own the physical pictures.

12. cinderr

cinderrMember

Threads:
    Oh gosh, used dentures? Unbelievable! I heard of a potato chip that looked like a profile of Jay Leno but not sure if that was a joke or not. I didn't hear it from Jay so who knows!
    I don't get a lot of stuff online but did sell a Ouija board on Craigslist. I don't quite understand eBay.