Shoe Polish Is No Good Anymore.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hayrake • Jan 27, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make a serious effort to keep my footwear cleaned up and polished well, but it seems to me that the polish isn't what it used to be. And it doesn't last nearly as long in the cans. I don't believe they put enough oil, wax or whatever it is that they used to put in it that kept it creamy; and it can't possibly work as well without it, either, I'm thinking.
    Anyone else notice this?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the contrary, I still see a number of Kiwi brand shoe polish packets for black shoes and sneakers (the transparent polish is usually recommended). When going to formal events that necessitate the wearing of black or white shoes, I use shoe polish to give my leather or leatherette shoes that extra shine - unless they're already shiny from the outset.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I found this recipe for Do It Yourself Shoe polish, maybe it will help us make our feet look nice:
    2 parts olive oil
    1 part lemon juice
    Let the mixture soak in and then buff with a dry clothe.
    If you don't have olive oil or find it too expensive, then you can use other oils like coconut, vegetable, and or walnut. Does anyone know if the smells of these different oils might attract flies? I know some people don't like the smell of coconut oil (personally it doesn't bother me) but I am more concerned about ants or other bugs that might be attracted to the smell. I wonder if adding a drop of citronella oil could help with this.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use shoe polish, so I wouldn't know. However, I'm not surprised that's the case. The quality of everything seems to be deteriorating, we're getting less for our money, appliances aren't as durable etc That's why i tend to stick to known and trusted brands that have stood the test of time.

5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Try using Kiwi's liquid shoe polish. It always works for me very well. It's also very easy to apply and it lasts on your shoe for a long time.

There's this other product that I like a lot too, it's also from Kiwi. It looks like a plain sponge only, but once you rub it into the shoe, it seems like it has built in color and oil. It just makes your shoe shiny and bright like new again. It's very convenient to use when you are travelling.