Shoe Repair Vs Brand New

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Alexandoy • May 11, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife and I had an argument about my shoes. I loved this present shoes of mine because it fits perfectly on my feet. With a worn out sole, it needs to be resoled. But it’s quite expensive so my wife said that I should buy a new pair instead. That got me thinking because the cost of repair is about 1/3 of the price of a brand new pair. However, I am not sure if I can get a pair that would fit my feet perfectly. But I guess public opinion is against the repair.

2. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    The decision solely depends on you @Alexandoy.If you love the shoe and you want to save on costs of buying another pair,I would recommend a repair.I rarely buy new shoes.I wait until my current pair gets reasonably worn out beyond repair.Thats when I consider of buying a new pair of shoes.

Recently I deviced a method of having 2 pairs or 3.This ensures that I do not entirely depend on one pair.The pairs are able to last for almost one and a half years before they are worn out.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would go for the repair, if the rest of the shoe has held up well and still looks decent. When I find a comfortable pair of shoes, I hate to get rid of them or even replace them, unless I can find another pair exactly like them. I wear them until I can't any more.

Since the repair will also save money that would be my first choice. Maybe you can have the shoes shined or shine them yourself after the repair and that will make the difference to your wife. She probably just doesn't want you to think that you have to walk around with old shoes. If you're okay with it though, I don't see why the repair option should be an issue.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    High-quality shoes might be worth the repair. For instance, if you got some from Nike, Addidas, or Reebok, then the price of replacement might be way more than for repair. However, though, with cheap Wal-Mart, the discount store in the US, shoes, that obviously isn't the case.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that shoes from companies like Nike or Addidas or Reebok generally need any repair within warranty period and the cheaper shoes from companies like Kmart need any repair as the cost of repair would far exceed than the cost of shoes themselves besides if you feel that your shoe did not last as per your expectation Kmart gives you a replacement at "No question asked" replacement scheme. Back in my country I would certainly go for a repair option in case of leather shoes, which is available at very low rate.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    First I have to see in what state the shoe is and see if it's worth fixing it. If it's worth it, I'll fix it. But overall, I always end up buying a new shoe because I feel like my money is being better spent (and if there's one thing I value in my life it's my money because I know how hard it is to get it).

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I should also ask, where do you have the shoes repaired? I don't even think I can find a shoe repair service in my area these days. Do you send them off? If so, don't forget to calculate the cost of shipping as well.

Yep, that's what I had in mind too. I wouldn't bother with sneakers, but for good shoes, it might be well worth it. It's very hard to find good, real leather, shoes any more, unless you're willing to pay a tidy sum. So, if repair is easily accessible and available for a low cost, I think I would take advantage of that.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the condition of the shoes.
    I admit that we feel comfortable with the shoes which are on use. But, there comes a time when a pair goes beyond mending. That is the time we need to replace it.
    However, if the shoes are in good condition and could be mended well, I would rather go for a repair. Buying a new pair is always expensive.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have a shoe which is of very good quality but the bottom fell off I and I decided to re-bottom it and I don't regret having repaired it because the uppers are of that great quality that it seems that it could last forever. Therefore, it's wise not to just discard a shoe because it may need to be repaired. It's best to assess the cost benefit factor in order to determine whichever is more cost effective, whether it would be repairing it as opposed to getting a new one.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I will always go with shoe repair as long as the repaired shoe can be worn. I also look for repairing charge. If it costs a lot of money, I will buy a new shoe instead of repairing the old one. repairing shoes shaves money. How long the repaired shoe last is also my main concern. If I cannot wear my repaired shoe even for a month, I will not consider repairing it.

11. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    Generally I throw shoes away when they start to show the signs of ageing and damage, but there are exceptions if the pair is one that I particularly like but there is no chance of getting the same one again but I can repair this one, or if I could get the same one but the one I have fits so nicely and can be easily repaired, then I will go with the repair instead.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I would opt to buy a new one, since if I've been using it for a very long time, then it's time to put on new shoes as a reward to myself. Sure I can also have it repaired, but the lure of brand new shoes is hard to resist, never mind if replacing the sole is cheaper.

13. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    If the shoes are of the highest quality and therefore very expensive, I would suggest that you opt for a repair as opposed to throwing away and getting brand new shoes. I don't hesitate to throw away shoes that are cheap and damaged. I don't even bother to take them for a fix. But if they are expensive, no ways am I throwing them away. In fact, I kept this pair of boots for over two years after I stopped wearing them before I found the heart to give them away. They were my best boots, still in great shape but too small for me.

14. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I usually wear my shoes until they are beyond help! I'm very heavy on the heels and wear them out first so unless I'm particularly fond of them I will chuck them away and buy a new pair. I hate buying shoes and don't have too many pairs. Maybe I should invest in a few more pairs and then I wouldn't wear the ones I have out so quickly and they would last longer. It's rare that I have shoes repaired these days.

15. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I have only a pair of cheap leather shoes with me which I happen to purchased at a local flea market while I was on my way home. I rarely use this shoes as I prefer the comfort of a rubber shoes hugging my feet. If it ever come to a point that it finally wears off because of other means than by casual usage, I just have to buy another pair than to have it repaired because it only cost me less to buy it and servicing it might incur much more money.

16. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    In my country, shoe repairs is a lot cheaper than buying new shoes. The shoe mender takes a small amount to repair shoes and it will last a long time. New shoes are expensive and most of the people here focus on repairing shoes rather than buying new ones.

17. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I would rather go for the shoe repairs. In my area, shoe repairs are always very cheap. But, I will advice you get a new shoe if the cost of repair is 1/3 of new shoes.

18. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I would only consider shoe repair if the item had sentimental value to me or it was a limited edition that isn't made anymore in the market.

19. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Unless one gives their shoes for repair to companies that make them I doubt they will look as good as new. I never repair my shoes - just an excuse to get a new pair. Shoes these days last a pretty long time.

20. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    I can relate to your situation Alexandroy.I also undergo the same hustle every time a pair of shoes I really like starts to fail me.On one hand buying a new pair is costlier than having them repaired but it is also cost efficient.Once you repair the shoe, in a couple of months the sole will still disappoint you and so I would recommend you purchase another pair.It is not a guaranteed way of saving money but issues to do with the sole mostly depend on the amount of pressure applied when walking.Any way my advice is to do away with the old pair and make room for the new.