Shop Locally

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Binu • Jan 5, 2017.

1. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Given a choice what will you buy local products or imported products. In other words, do you care about local products, do you buy anything just because it is produced locally.
    I buy local products but I consider number of factors, for example the price, product's durability etc.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I to purchase local products but I do have to make sure it's quality is equivalent or better than the price. I have noticed that some local products are as good as imported ones and even cheaper in price. I really never had a problem with where the product is from but the quality itself.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If the local products has the quality I want I wouldn't hesitate buying them. I don't like sharing the belief that my locally made items are inferior to imported. Some local products are on their own unique. Our locally produce food stuffs in all way beats the imported ones in my judgement

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It couldn't be denied that most of the people here in our place preferred to buy imported items for the believe that they are in superior quality as compared to a locally made products. It is their mind set of believing it. It is to our dismay when one of our best friends who came from abroad has given me present which he bought from abroad. And I had found out later that the product tag turned out to be made in our country. That's the lesson he learned. In other words, our local products could be as good as the imported ones.

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Shipping and delivery is much more better if you ordered something online locally. If I will order something from the Asia or Europe, I will pay double the price because of the expensive shipping. It is also easier for me to ask for a refund if it's not imported.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the olden days, we have the campaign called Filipino first where the public is urged to patronize the local products. However, the people here just love imported products so that campaign did not prosper. But granting that local products are at par with the quality of imported products, I guess it is better to patronize your own because in the long run, the local products will be cheaper due to the brisk sales and the dictates of law of supply and demand.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I buy local products as much as possible. However, I do realize that many imported items cost so much less than locally produced ones, including shoes, clothes, blankets, kitchen utensils, kitchenware, and fabrics. When the price difference is so glaring, I would often go for the cheaper products so long as I'm not sacrificing on quality, I hope that local manufacturing businesses will realize this and make adjustments to their production processes and costs to make their prices competitive.

8. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    If I could buy locally grown or produced products I would be much happier. Sadly though the larger supermarkets have made our markets almost non-existent. I would have loved to live centuries ago when we went to the market to buy our veggies. Home made items like soaps for example.

Ah those were the days. But now it is all under one roof, which is more convenient but it has put a lot of businesses out of business and lost jobs too.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be very frank, the term "Local" has lost its importance in this age of globalization since the customer is looking for best product at best prices. I must admit that I am not very particular about 'local' barring vegetables etc. I can buy from anywhere provided the rates are good and the quality of the product is according to my choice. In fact I am on shopping spree right now and most of shopping is through online shopping sites.

10. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly I buy local products but not because they are "local" but because they are good. But if a product can't give the same amount of satisfaction I want I may try imported products too. As pointed out by @Ray1@Ray1 in this era of globalization there is actually nothing called local where whole world is like a single market.

But one of the worst parts of globalization is MNCs trying to befool consumers especially in third world countries. They produce cheap quality goods especially for them because there is no strict mechanism to assess product quality. In that case local products seem to be better.

For example FMCG products of a local brand called "Patanjali" is gaining huge popularity in our country because they are genuine in their approach. They use healthy ingredients in their products and do not concentrate much on giving false commitments through advertisements.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have often noticed that local products are cheaper than imported products. As long as price and quality is not compromised I tend to buy local products just fine.

I only go for imported products when I find that they perhaps suit me better.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I mostly buy online through Flipkart, Amazon and Snapdeal and all of them have listed local suppliers/manufacturers mostly so the question of buying foreign goods does not arise in most cases. As far the term local is concerned the term itself is an imported one. You know many developed countries buy cheap products from third world countries therefore it has become a hot topic in developed countries in order to save their local business.
    As far we the Indians are concerned most such products are too costly and beyond the reach of commoner so I am least worried about this particular term of 'local' in our case. Yes, our markets are full of cheap Chinese electric and electronic products but it is due to greediness of traders who are selling them at double the import price.

13. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    In my country local products are more expensive compared to imported products. A simple product like sugar when produced locally sells for $1.30 per kg while imported sugar from Pakistan is sold for $0.9. Laptops made locally are never sold for less than $460 while you can get a imported Laptop at half the price. Whenever I have the chance I buy imported products.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love fresh, so I buy local fruits and veggies all the time and go to our farmer's market all the time. I buy what I can afford. I like both local and international brands. I feel that if it's a good price and if it's what I'm looking for I'd buy it. I have to watch my sugar intake so I like products that are low in sugar. I love candies, so I constantly look for sugar free candies. I don't find locally any sugar free chocolate covered malt balls that I simply love, so I buy from the mainland and love the quality. Thus buying local doesn't always work when like myself I like things that aren't manufactured locally, but love to eat.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Many local people go for foreign made stuffs simply because of their presentation and packaging. This is common with packaged imported foods, people think there are extraordinary ingredients in them due to their attractive wraps. I've seen consumers who prefer going for packaged corn to locally harvested ones still carrying the tassel and husk. I'd prefer the fresh locally harvested corn .

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That is the case with many countries where local produce is not available. I spend a lot of time in Australia which imports more than half of their edible items from India, China, and other countries. You will be surprised to note that some of the products available in Australia for instance green chili is available at $50 a kg which we is available at $1 in our local market.