Shopping Around Saves Money

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by Isabellas2007 • Apr 26, 2012.

1. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I know the old adage is to always shop around for your prices. However, you may not realize just how valuable this is when you look at insurance. I was with All State for about 3 years, and was paying over a hundred a month for coverage. I called up Travelers and ended up getting a deal to only pay sixty bucks a month for the same coverage! If I had not shopped around at renewal time I would have been stuck paying the same high rate!

2. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Bantering a bit will save you money too. You have to treat it like poker almost. Make them think you have a better deal waiting (even if you don't) so that you can make them give you deals or savings on YOUR terms rather than theirs.

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I agree! Many people just stick with one company because they are satisfied, not realizing that they can get very similar coverage elsewhere for a much better price. My insurance agent checks other companies out for me whenever it is time to renew my policy, to make sure I am getting the best deal possible. So far, Progressive has offered me the most for the price so I have been sticking with them, but I would be happy to change if they found something similar with a different company at a significantly lower price.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Just always make sure that coverages are the same when being compared, apples to apples!
    Another factor is customer service, especially when it comes down to claims service. Before switching, you may want to do some internet research on the quality of recent customer service the company provides.

5. kimquotes

kimquotesNew Member

Threads:
    The wise thing to do.... Is to shop and you can find cheap insurance for your car.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great point because a lot of times you get what you pay for when it comes to customer service. I am happier to pay a certain percentage more if it means that when the time comes to use my policy everything runs smoothly.

7. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    You know what you are very right! My husband's policy is up in about two months. We are currently with All State and I must say they are truly rubbing me the wrong way. Every agent we speak to on the phone gives us totally different information and figures each time we call and I am just not happy with them at all. I have to do a search to see who is in the PA area and compare prices. I am sure we can get something cheaper than what we are paying now with All State. Also, hopefully we can get agents on the phone who know what they are talking about as well. :(

8. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    It is a good idea to look into the company, for sure. I just had my agent check for better rates for me and there isn't anything better. Which is amazing, because it's way to high now, in my opinion. I think I'll do some online research to see if there are some e-companies that have better quotes.

9. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping around can save you money, but do not fall into the trap that will hurt you when it is time to file a claim. I do not know how good Travelers Insurance is with claims, but you might want to talk to anyone you know who uses Travelers Insurance.

10. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    I agree! Many people just stick with one company because they are satisfied, not realizing that they can get very similar coverage elsewhere for a much better price.

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    So true. You should ALWAYS check for new rates and better coverage before you renew your policy. You never know how much you can save!

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Some people forget the other costs of going everywhere to look for deals. You always have to have in mind the cost of travel, so that the deal that you are getting is worth it, but that can be applied to anything when you have to travel a lot.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Very true...it can save quite a bit, really. And now with different websites and free apps to track price differences/changes, it's easier than ever.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the reasons why I prefer to buy things online because I like to use price comparison sites to find the best deals. I wasn't aware there were apps available that could help with this, hopefully there are a couple on the Windows Phone.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes if you have the time to compare the prices of whatever you are buying or investing in then do so, because it will definitely save you money in the long run. Before, when the internet isn't popular yet, you have no choice but to go out of the house and into the malls to be able to compare prices. Now it's easy to do that now with the help of the internet.

16. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It certainly does save money, there are quite big discrepancies between different shops. Waiting around is another good tip for saving money. Wait for the sales and you will save a significant amount. I would never pay full RRP nowadays.