Shopping At Dollar General

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you or do you not shop at Dollar General? If so what are the things that you like to buy there? I love the Wylers Peach Ice tea Mix for a dollar and their DG brand Salted Caramel Cookies. I will also buy some vitamins and sleep product there inexpensively. I got my phone there for only 5 bucks. I do like Dollar General but some of their products are not worth purchasing in my opinion.

2. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I shop there sometimes because you can find some pretty good deals. I live in a town where Dollar General and one other food store is all that we have. They raise the prices pretty high at the other store, so sometimes we go there to get some food. We don't buy grocery's there, but just little things there and there.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone on here a while back had mentioned there was some trick to getting certain items there for a penny - I think it had to do with items that were supposed to be pulled from the shelves but for some reason hadn't been, which were then ringing up as one cent when they were brought to the counter, and the store has to honor it. I've never been able to get it to work personally. However there is a smartphone app which supposedly will help you find these deals, by simply scanning the barcodes with your phone.

Dollar General is kind of hit or miss for me, some of their items are cheaply priced while other stuff I can get much cheaper elsewhere. Their flour tortillas for example are like $2.50, and I can get a comparable bag of them at Save-A-Lot or Dollar Tree for only $1. On the other hand, their Clover Valley brand black beans are surprisingly really good - a deep rich black and the beans aren't all mushy and burst open - and only 65 cents a can.

Some other things that Dollar General can be overpriced on is mens body wash - they want as much as many other retailers such as CVS or Wallgreens, like $5-$6 a bottle for it. I've seen some of these same brands of body wash for sale at Big Lots for $1.50-$3.00 a bottle. Target even carries men's Nivea body wash for only $3 a bottle.

Some stores now have coolers in them with refrigerated foods, but they are pretty over priced. A frozen pizza that you can get at Wal-Mart for under $4 is like $6+ at Dollar General. Their lunch meats and cheeses are also more expensive as well.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are absolutely right OhioTom. I generally find better buys at the Food Lion across the street, than Dollar General for most items. However, their mac and cheese at .35 a box...I mean who can beat that? Also, when they reduce items, you can often find things for a pittance. Their greeting cards are also inexpensive, and something worth buying there I think. For most things I like Dollar Tree a lot better.

5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have gotten a bag of soft pretzels from the dollar general. It's the kind of pretzels you have to throw in the oven. It comes with a packet of salt but I throw that in the garbage since I generally don't like salt on my pretzels. I also like buying some beef jerky there as a treat. I've tried buying some herbal pepperment tea from the store recently for the first time. It really does smell like pepperment but as for the taste, it's almost as if I'm drinking hot water.