Shopping bags not free

Discussion in Misc & Others started by mrsgeedee • Feb 27, 2013.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    On the one hand, I agree conceptually with the idea of encouraging customers to bring their own most likely reusable and environment friendly shopping bags to cut down on waste. On the other hand, since I very frequently reuse the bags I get free from grocery stores as garbage can liners and to transport sweaty gym clothes, it would be an inconvenience to me.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Sometimes. One of my favorite bags is actually a sturdy insulated one that's yellow and brown, though. It's definitely not feminine and my ex bought multiple ones for himself because they were such awesome bags. He never had issues using them.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You're right. I reuse them, too. I mostly use them for smelly things. So kitty litter gets its own plastic bag and taken directly out. Dirty diapers are the same. I use them for other things, too.

Because of that, though, I don't mind so much when I forget and get charged a quarter or whatever for a few bags. It really doesn't cost that much extra to get a few bags here or there.

4. YPraveenK

YPraveenKNew Member

Threads:
    I am agree to You 100%

I really happy to see you raised such a pretty issue.
    I personally observed that there are thousands of the lives are being changed because of the shopping bags.
    Each bag cost about $1 and it goes to a society running for widow and no-home women who are in a great need of money for their survival.
    keep posting such a nice block.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I would personally invest in some of my own because I would be wasting a lot more money if I was to buy a bag every time I went shopping.
    That would be a huge rip off in my opinion. There is a website called baggu.com which sells nylon shopping bags of all different sizes and colors and I think it is the perfect place to buy some reusable bags.;
    They are even machine washable and very durable. I think this is your best bet.
    I didn't regret a single penny that I spent on them!

6. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I think it is a great idea. It discourages wasteful behaviour and makes people think before they consume. If people just brought their own bags or re-used the ones they had already taken, we could save a lot of energy and raw materials.

Even if the bags are biodegradeable, it is still a waste of materials and energy to keep making new bags just to dispose of them.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The stores should furnish whatever there customers need since we are the ones keeping them in business. Why charge your customers for something as simple as a bag. I feel that if they start to charging for bags here in my city, I will go somewhere else to shop.

8. jericjames10

jericjames10Member

Threads:
    That was a good practice for loving the mother nature, I've been in Philippines, I observe that there were lots of plastic garbage anywhere. They have plastic bags for free wherever they were going, that's why Philippines now are in struggle, just a small rain, they have flood for an hour. They have something to do, with the garbage especially for plastics.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I vaguely remember the days they weren't charging, it's been going on so long. I've been bringing my own for ages. Even if plastic were free, I wouldn't use them. They shouldn't be making them anymore.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Real men believe in sustainability :)

Let them look, in fact, you should get a special T-shirt made for when you go shopping. Then again you could always upcycle some of your manly Ts into custom reusable bags. Honestly though, I think those looks are really just shock to see a man doing the grocery shopping.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in our area, the mayors of several cities also have passed a bill that discarded plastic bags in favor of paper bags. So now, it sucks because paper bags have no handle, so when you shop, you need to use both arms to carry the things that you bought.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think every store around the place i live only has shopping bags for sale. The price is really low if you think about it, but it's much more worth to just keep using the same bags. You put them in the trunk of the car. What i also use is boxes, so i just use the bags to transport it to the car, but from the car to home i use a box, this way i don't forget about the bags on my house.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is more meant to discourage people from wasting plastic bags and be more environmentally responsible. It can't possibly be cutting that much into a stores bottom line to include bags with people's purchases. I kind of prefer this more than when the grocery stores started using those insanely thin plastic bags that would tear very easily - since everyone would just end up double bagging everything which defeated the purpose.

It's sort of funny to see them encouraging people to bring their own bags in now. A couple of decades ago that would have been frowned upon since people could possibly be stealing stuff with them.