Shopping For An Affordable Smartphone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by sll-rambleon • Feb 11, 2015.

1. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    I currently own an old HTC desire and its been annoying me for a while now. It is not a bad phone per se, but it has these little glitches and the software is rather outdated. So I decided, since my bank account is not completely empty, to buy a new phone. I will not spend ridiculous amount of money on a phone no mater how it looks like or what it can do. Just a regular up to date smart phone, that has no major issues will do. After my search ( on eBay) there were only two possible candidates:
    1. Nokia lumia 520
    2. Motorola Moto G
    Both have their little imperfections but are extremely affordable.However, I am still curious are there other phones like these both cheap and with decent specs. Please share if you know of any good deals as I am inches away from destroying my current phone :mad:

2. MrSuperCoolPenguin

MrSuperCoolPenguinNew Member

Threads:
    Starting with those two phones, I would personally go with the Motorola Moto G. Android, in my opinion, is a much better operating system. Even if you prefer the windows phone design, Android is the king with app support and development. There are other phones that I think could also fill your needs.
    1. Nexus 4
    2. HTC One M7
    3. Xiaomi Redmi Phones

The Nexus 4 and Xiaomi Redmi Phones are both about 100$ on ebay. HTC has been working to get rid of their current stock of One M7 phones, so you can find them at BestBuy NEW for 150$, or used for 100$ on ebay. I would rank your current options at-
    1. HTC One M7
    2. Nexus 4
    3. Moto G
    The Redmi is a bit more locked down, which is why its not as high for me.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would vouch for Nexus 4 and 6. They're chic and affordable. I own an outdated Nexus smartphone with a Jellybean 4.2 OS. It's still functional but I do get lags once in a while (my fault for downloading too many apps for my own good). Regardless, the Nexus experience is worth it. Since Nexus phones are powered by Google, expect most of your default apps to include GMail, Hangout, Google Drive, Google Calendar and the like if you're ever going to buy one.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Moto G is pretty good. They also let you unlock your bootloader and root your phone without any hacking or problems as well, which is always a plus for me. I have a Moto E right now, and I'm pretty happy with it.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Based on the options you gave, I would also go with Moto G. Not because I'm a fan of the hardware but more of the software. Android is pretty much the way to go if you want the perfect balance of performance and value for money. Nokia Lumia 520 is also a pretty good phone but the OS has a lot of growing up to do.

6. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    While Microsoft still has to develop it's OS, I would recommend going with an android. The market is pretty huge for them and they are by far the most customisable phones out there. Avoid iOS with a budget smartphone as it presents problems even on high end products.

7. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with everyone here. If you must go for cheap then go for the Android phone, which is Moto G. I'm a Windows Phone user myself and although I love the OS as it is, it's still very lacking when compared to Android. Hardware wise both phones are great but in terms of OS then Moto G takes the cake. But if both phones have Windows, I would go for Lumia.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    So what are the reason for you (sll-rambleon) getting this phone, is it for non-serviced or serviced use? There are many phones you can acquire for very cheap that will be better than your current phone, try looking at various sites beyond Ebay. I got four of Motorola LG phones for app work all for less than 15 dollars each from one particular site, which I do not remember the name anymore. Android phones are the way to go for the moment, they're the most versatile and easier to fix phones.

9. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    Moto G, T Mobile, and Xiaomi phones are usually among the cheapest. Moto and T Mobile I've consistently heard good things about. The Xiaomi phones however seem to vary in opinion from good to iffy. But you have to expect that when you look for cheaper products.

10. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    First of all, I would like to thank you all for your responses.
    Now, I am leaning towards Nexus. I was unaware that it came that cheap because it seemed like a high end phone to me. Moto G is still in the game now I`m looking for a good price. The plan is to buy the first one that I find with a decent price tag. No mater which one I buy the better one will stay in the shop, that just human nature :)
    The main drawback of Nokia for me at the beginning was its OS. Its not poorly done or anything it just didn't caught up.

I am frustrated with my phone for the last couple of months because it displayed numerous issues. For instance, I can`t install certain apps, it lacks internal storage space ( can not download anything anymore. Yes I searched the internet and no there isn't a solution to this.), can`t update certain apps etc.
    If you could list some of the websites I would be more that happy to browse them for good deals.

11. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes go with Moto G on this one. Although the Nokia Lumia is indeed a really good phone all on itself, the OS is still at par compared to Android which is probably the best phone OS in the market today.

12. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    I found and bought Moto G on an local website where people post goods they want to sell. The guy was in my city so it all happened really fast and I am more than satisfied. I am exploring the phone and the possibilities and its great.
    Thanks everybody for the advice.
    Oh it cost me like $70, it was briefly used. No shipping costs... yeaaah! All in all a great bargain.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe seventy dollars is quite awesome. I hope you totally like the phone. But don't you think you should have bought a new phone rather than a old phone.

14. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    Nobody would be happier than me if I could afford a new phone, however monetary situation is such that an old phone is all I can pay for right now.
    Having that in mind I am quite content with my purchase, the phone functions great it has a rather decent battery life for an used phone and it has no noticeable glitches.

15. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest that you also look into the Alcatel Pop D5 and the Lenovo A850. The Alcatel Pop D5 is one of the cheapest Quad core phones out in the market today. The touch screen is not very responsive though. The Lenovo A850 is also a quad core device with a 5.5 inch screen. It's a bit more costly than the Pop D5 though. I've also got to say that both phones have their faults. Then again, that is expected of a cheap mobile phone.

16. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    Yes I read somewhere that Lenovo A850 was a decent phone, it looks awesome but I don't believe it can match the quality of Motorola or Nokia my top two contenders. Furthermore, its price is not that low and buying it second hand would in my opinion be a disaster. I never heard of Alcatel Pop D5 before but now that I looked it up it is rather interesting, it would be a risky purchase but one that could provide some reward.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it were me I'd most likely just go with the. Moto G even if I prefer the Nokia design a lot more. The Windows app market is just a bit too lacking in my opinion and I don't believe that the 520 can handle heavy apps anyway. Additionally it looks too thick to me and it's at least a couple of years old by now so I'd guess it will be outdated very soon if not already.