Shopping for Christmas Decors

Discussion in Home & Garden started by vida_llevares • Nov 1, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi.

It's my first time to buy Christmas decors by myself.

Do you have any tips or reminders that I should bear in mind?

Thank you.

2. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Cool!!! I love shopping for Christmas -- decorations, presents, food... :D

My advice is to have a clear idea of what look you are going for this Christmas. I like browsing websites and magazines to get ideas. :) Anyway, the reason why I say this is because if you buy red and green ornaments, but later on you want to have a white and silver Christmas, you're going to be stuck. If you're eclectic and like mix-matching colors and styles, you'll be fine. But if you're not...

Also, unless you have a lot of money, you may want to choose a decoration style that you can love for years. Christmas decoration is expensive. Separately, they're affordable. But they quickly add-up. And you normally need a lot of them. So, it's more cost-efficient to do similar decor schemes several years in a row. And each year you can add a few new ornaments (or maybe a new color) to add newness to your look.

Have a ton of fun!!!! :D

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with SpringBreeze. Having an idea of "the look" you are wanting to have would be the first step. Don't feel like you have to get everything all at once. If you can get some of your items after Christmas is over, you will get a much better price. In a year or two, you will have a completed look for a lot less money. Also look for ways to make decor items yourself, that may save you alot of money as well. I also think that less is more, I have seen some folks just get too carried away with Christmas decor. It gets so bad that it actually looks trashy!

4. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    If I could start over in terms of shopping for Christmas decorations, I would. I have accumulated so many Christmas decorations over the years. I have gotten some decorations for cheap at rummage sales, I have gotten some passed onto me from my parent's, grandma and aunts, plus the decorations that my husband already had before we moved in together. The amount of decorations we have for any occasion is insane. I really wish I could start over though and just have a theme. A lot of my decorations are old and outdated. Although they have meaning, they just don't look as nice in the house. So, like the others said, I would definitely go with a theme when you decide on the decorations you are going to use.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I would say look at pictures online and in catalogs of decorated homes and then decide what kind of look you want to go for. There is a lot of stuff out there, but less is more, so don't go overboard. Start with lights and some maybe garland and just build from there. Also, decide ahead of time on a color scheme so that everything fits together.