Shopping for perennials

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zapped • Mar 29, 2012.

1. Zapped

ZappedMember

Threads:
    I am sick and tired of planting flowers every year. I have finally decided that it is time to plant perennials. That way I don't have to plant every year, just weed. I hope some of you pros know who is going to have the best prices on perennials this spring. I was also hopping to get tips on which perennials to plant. The area gets about half a day of sun and the dirt is pretty healthy. There is a slug issue, but that's another story. Any advice welcome!

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I got $50 worth of plants for $25 through Gurneys and I know Brecks sometimes will have the same deal. If I remember correctly, I ordered a catalog and the coupon came with it. Gurneys website also has daily deals you can check out. I used these to get all of my garden seeds, lots of bulbs, some herbs and rose bushes. My favorite perennials were the rose bushes and day lillies. I also had tiger lilies, irises, a lilac bush, tulips and lots of others. If you can find perennials that bloom at different times of the year, your flower bed will have flowers all summer long. If you really wanted to take an easy route, Gurneys has a seed/bulb kit that makes planting a perennial flower bed really easy.

3. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    See if you have a local greenhouse. We have one near my community. They have home grown perennials that work the best for around here. They are not that expensive. The owners will give suggestions on which ones would be right for you. Like you, I made the decision to plant very few annuals. I made sure that the perennials that I planted bloomed most of the summer, or at least things are spaced out so something is always blooming. There are several varieties of daisies that I like. Have fun with it and plant a mix of different perennials. Your yard will look fantastic.

4. LisaC

LisaCNew Member

Threads:
    I have ordered through both Gurneys and Brecks and both do have some fantastic deals, I believe you can get their catalogs sent to you by visiting their website. I also like to get a lot of my perennials from Lowe's or even Walmart, I'm always on the lookout for a good deal or a sale on flowers. Another thing I do is check the discount racks at Lowe's, sometimes the plants may have been hit slightly by frost & you can buy them next to nothing, I have bought many exotic orchids this way & with a little TLC they perk right back up!

5. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a farmers market in your area, you may also be able to buy plants there. That way you'd know the plants grow in your area.

Perhaps you could place an ad on Craigslist seeking free plants? Sometimes when you have a lot of perennials, you can run out of room to put them when you thin them.

6. oleeviascott

oleeviascottNew Member

Threads:
    It is the plant which live more then 2 years so it is good for gardening. There are many garden centers and nurseries available for different plants for perennials and they have wide variety of perennials. You can see the magazine, and books also for getting the information. You can search it on gardenig website which help you to shopping for perennials.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You also might want to consider growing some perennial vines,because these beautiful flowers can climb walls and trellises, and cover arbors and therefore create some privacy and shade in your yard or garden. One of these flowers where I live, that do very good and come back every year is called Confederate Jasmine- it has some great fragrant white flowers,that also like to grow up, just about anything. Also check out in spring the beauty of the Wisteria Vine,because they have hanging clusters of violet flowers,including all varieties that are very fragrant as well.