Shopping List Or Impulse Buying?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gad • May 10, 2017.

1. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Many a times we are faced with shortages in foodstuffs,personal effect items and so on.We have to visit our local stores/supermarkets to revamp.As one buys stuff,the sole aim is to minimize cost and save more while at the same time maximizing utility.

This is where a shopping list comes in Handy.It helps to priotize vital items and plan the budget.Some of us though just go to the store and start picking items.At the end of the day you buy unnecessary items.Is it prudent to prepare a shopping list to encourage saving?

2. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have a shopping list in my hand so that I won't buy extra or miss out any items. Whenever I am going without one I end up shopping more of the things I don;t need too much important. Also, I can be in my budget with a shopping list in my hand.

3. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I don't like spending a long time in stores. I have a shopping list so I can find my way around, easily. Sometimes, I pick up an item that's not on the list whenever I want to try new recipes or if I forget something. But a shopping list comes in handy.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I just spend my money on the things I really need, so... Impulse buying is something that rarely happens to me. I always like to make a list (when necessary, of course) with everything I need to have at that moment.

I avoid at all costs to make unnecessary expenses.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of the same things each week, so I go straight to them and put them in the cart. I keep a list for any other items, for example, if I'm going to make a new recipe or something. I make a list of the ingredients I need, and check the sale papers to see what's on sale. I look for coupons too, if applicable. If it's an expensive recipe, it may take me a couple weeks worth of sales to get all the items needed.

I don't make a lot of impulse buys, but to be on the safe side, it's usually a good idea to avoid grocery shopping when you're hungry.

I have an amount in mind before I go to the store, and I try not to go over that amount. Sometimes, it means putting things back that can wait until the next shopping trip.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I will make a shopping list only if I want to buy different items that I usually wouldn't buy since I do tend to forget easily other than that I would already know what I will buy since I buy almost the same things all the time. I rarely make a list and my husband thinks I'm not organized that way but I am used to grocery shopping and always need the same things sp I pretty much have the items memorized. Now I take less time grocery shopping now that I know exactly what I always need.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I had posted in another thread that impulse buying can ruin your finances. And the best weapon against impulse buying is to have a shopping list and stick to that list whatever may happen. Impulse buying makes us acquire things that we don’t really need and in doing that may leave our finances in disarray. That happened many times over to some people I know. And when the impulse hits you, all you have to do is to think of your family if they would love what you are going to buy or is it only for yourself?

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go shopping with a shopping list, but I'll admit, I do sometimes buy on impulse too. I know I shouldn't impulse buy, but the prices are so good that I'll buy, because it's so inexpensive and what I need. I love bargains especially when it's something I need aside of what I need. I love saving money too, so impulse buying is not much any longer.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't necessarily see it as an impulse buy if it's something you actually need anyway. If I see something at a particularly good price, yet I didn't really plan on buying it right now, I might buy it anyway. If it's needed, why not get it for the best price instead of waiting and paying more later?

Personally, I tend to think of impulse buys in terms of being something I don't really need, more of a want. In that case, I probably won't get it. Of course, I have done it before and probably will again, but I try to avoid it.

I try not to overbuy, so sometimes I have to walk past a good deal. I hate leaving bargains behind, ha ha.

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I always decide on what to buy and which things i need or may need in the near future before i even leave the house, since i feel it saves me time when shopping and stops me from buying things that i don't need.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    It's pretty obvious that when you have a shopping list you can control your spending, since you will be more organized in shopping and you will only buy what you have in that list, unless you deviate from it and you add more. If you go to the store without a list then you would most likely be picking up random items that you don't even need which adds more to your bill.

12. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I go with the shopping list. It is much more easier then buying on impulse. However, the list is the same every month and it is there in my mind. But, making a shopping list is better, as this way there is little room for forgetting things.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I buy items which I don't need at hand for they are offered for sale in a discounted price. And I end up arguing with my wife. In her case, however, I would say that she is a top impulsive buyer. I don't want to embarrass her and she herself realizes it that it is not good. From now on, when we go out for shopping we have a ready list of items that we are going to buy and if there is an extra money left we use it to buy stuffs not in our list.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Unless you may have an unlimited amount of money to spend, a shopping might be vital for you to be able to stay within your budget. It would also prevent you from probably excluding the essential things that you might need and replacing them with somewhat non-essentials items.