Shopping lists?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Oakster • Mar 11, 2014.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I always go with at least a mental list of items that we need while grocery shopping. Typically I will make a list of groceries my family needs on my phone, and I try to organize it by department in the store (bakery, dairy, meat, produce, etc), to prevent having to go back and forth between aisles or sections of the store. However, one thing I am working on improving right now is sticking to my list! Often I will be grocery shopping and see items on sale for a low price, and I'm tempted to stock up on that item even if I do not need it. Lately I have been better about sticking to the list, but I still have my days that I get side tracked. Does anyone else do this?

2. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I always make a shopping list before I go to the grocery store or I would get totally lost and not have any way of knowing what I want or need from the store. I make sure to only buy what is on my list so that I do not overspend. Grocery stores make it easy for people to spend a lot more than they planned to if you are not careful. You should also never go grocery shopping when you are hungry.

3. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I do make a list when I go grocery shopping. Sometimes I do purchase things that are not on the list especially if the store has markdowns on products. I do feel lost when I forget my list and often forget several items, the list just helps me grocery shop a lot easier.

4. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    My husband tells me to make a list either the day before, or the day of our shopping trip. I'm not very good at thinking of things we need and should get when it's a big trip. But even when I do make a list, I usually forget it at home. But when I do take it with us, it really helps and we more than likely will add things that weren't on the list. Now we're just used to walking every aisle and getting what we need from it. And our shopping center isn't that big so it's easy on us.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Listing down shopping items is something I'm seriously considering now. It actually saves time and prevents you from panic buying or forgetting other items. I used to be opposed to this because it's too much effort and a little tedious. But then I realized, "How hard is it to list down the things you want to buy?" True. Thankfully, today's smartphones have notes or apps that allow you to jot down everything and even set a time for reminder.

6. shrinkwatson

shrinkwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    Basically It depends on for whom you are going to shop. When I shop for myself I don't need any shopping list. I choose the stuff and buy it.If I am shopping for home I would like to prepare a shopping list before going to supermarket. List gives us a rough idea what we have to buy for home.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My shopping list is my phone. I note everything in my phone like when I notice that there is only 1 bottle of cooking oil left or if the milk carton is the last. So when I go the supermarket, I am armed with my list. But honestly, I also buy some items that are not included in my list. Items like fresh fruits or ice cream, I take them whenever my budget permits. Yes, I observe a certain budget for my groceries.

8. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    Yes, I make a shopping list. I am actually very obsessive about it. I visually the store I am going to and write this list in order of the store layout. It helps me to limit my time and stay away from product displays that aren't necessarily a good buy. Shopping doesn't have to be a chore if you know what you need before you get there and get those items in a limited amount of time.

9. JoyF

JoyFNew Member

Threads:
    A big YES to this. I do not believe in shopping without list. Being a frugal person it doesn't suit me to not to decide before what I have to shop actually. I'm basically an online shopper but for both (Physical and online shopping) I do prepare list and my budget goal. And honestly saying I religiously follow the list. It really helps me to save money.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely always - as apart from the fact that having a list saves me a huge amount of time as well as money - particularly as - not only does it avoid the possibility of me buying anything that is not needed or duplicating any items that I already have adequate amounts of - but more importantly - as I live in the middle of nowhere and quite a considerable distance from any stores - its a necessity - as it avoids the possibility of running out of anything prior to my next shopping trip.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this, but honestly more just due to the fact that I'm able to not down each item I want or need as I remember them since thinking hard for everything just before leaving isn't always the best way for me. I like listing items down throughout the week or month and I bring it with me while shopping so I don't forget anything. I'll deviate from time to time and I'll add a few extra items but yeah I think the list also helps in keeping me within budget since I can tell a lot better when I'm going overboard with the extras.

12. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I've tried to make lists a few times, but I tend to always forget that I have them. I do make sure that I write down anything really important that I'll be upset if I forget, but for the most part I just go in and look around and grab what I think I'll need as I'm walking through the aisles.

13. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    I usually do my grocery shopping on a budget, so I always have a list ready before I hit the supermarket. I do my shopping bi-weekly and my strategy is to write was is needed in the house as the weeks lead up to pay day. The day before I go to the supermarket I review the list and decide what is absolutely necessary and what is not. The only way that I will buy something outside the list is if it's something that my daughter really wants or if there is a special offer where I can get 2 of something, but pay less than what I would be normally be paying if there wasn't an offer.

14. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    I don't currently make a list but it is certainly a good habit to get into. I think the best way to shop is by planning out your meals for the week before you leave the house that way you know what you already have and what need to be brought at the store. I personally have to start doing this.

15. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I do make a shopping list. I've given up recently, but I do make one. I always forget it at home. Or somewhere. Or lose it entirely. So, alas, I have had no choice but to just realize shopping lists are not for me. Then I forget everything I really needed to get, and have to go back out to the store... and leave my list at home.. again. :( It's a bad time for me all around. haha

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always have a shopping list with me when I go grocery shopping. It pretty much stays the same from one week to the next, except for a few minor changes here and there. I stick to it religiously because I just can't afford to over spend at the moment. It makes it a lot easier to stick to the list when you don't have a lot of money to go round.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We make a list so we don't forget what we need, but we don't do it to stick to anything or stay within a budget because we don't eat a highly processed diet which forced us into budget before. I honestly don't know how people think eating healthfully is so expensive when it was a massive chunk of our income before. Now we can go and eat whatever we want and know we won't break the bank regardless of how much we buy off list.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping with a list will stop you from buying things which you might not need and makes it a lot harder to forget buying the things which you do need. You won't have to make another trip to the store and burn more gas money.

That's why when I go shopping I always shop with a list and buy only what's on the list. It did take a long time to be disciplined enough to buy only what was on the list.

19. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I can't shop solely from a shopping list. I make a small list of things I know I definitely need, but that doesn't mean I don't need more than that. Those are just the things I definitely don't want to forget. I'm shopping for 5 people. There's always more needed than what's on the list.

20. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I always make a list of what's on sale. I read the flyers through cover to cover and make my shopping list based on what's on sale each week. This helps me plan my meals as well. I find this helps me from overshopping or impulsive shopping. I try my best to stick to my list. A list helps me save time and money. I wish more stores where I live would price match. If they did I wouldn' t have to go to 3 different stores to get the sales.