Shopping Malls in decline, installing micro-apartments

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    In Providence, a beautiful mall that was once a high traffic zone is taking applications for those willing to live on the upper floors in "micro-loft" situations. These are efficiency rental apartments that were once store fronts. They are 1-3 bedrooms and range from $500-$1000 per month.

Would you consider living in a former mall? What about a space of only 250 sq feet of the apartment?

I think this is a much better idea than just allowing the building to wither away into ruins, which would drive down the property prices even more. A new shopping mall in the US has not been built since 2006, and many stores are closing. Not only has the economy done this, but the online shopping increase.

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I would consider living in a mall temporarily. I also think this is a great idea. There are so many empty worn down strip malls that take up a lot of space. Repurposing the buildings is smart. I would love to see photos of the Providence apartments.

3. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    Well, if the apartment is good then why not? If the mall is still open, I can simply go down to the mall and get what I need. Then get back up once I am done. The only thing I am worried about is privacy. I hope that the micro apartment area is closed off to residents only. I do not want anyone else to know what I am doing, innocent or otherwise.

It is different to my country though. New malls are propping up everywhere.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of such a thing. I think it's a great idea. It's a great use of real estate. $500 to $100 rent for apartments with one to three bedrooms is cheap. I don't think the rent would be that cheap in my area. I'm not sure if this type of thing is happening in my state.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, why not, if the price is right. It would serve me very well for my creative pursuits. It would probably attract quite a few artists, which could turn out into an interesting community to live in. For me, it would all depend on the space itself. If it is light, airy and has a lot of room, I would definitely feel tempted. But before all that, the biggest factor for me is the location and how quiet it is.